I am posting some close-up photos of the lappet (?) on http://laceioli.ning.com/group/identification-history. From looking at the previous photo Maria thought it might be application on machine tulle, but I think that is not the case. However, the point de Paris ground has an interesting appearance, not very tight looking. Maybe due to washing? The translation of staal to sample makes sense. The pieces in the catalogue of the Gruuthusemuseum appear to be samples because they are just a small part of a lappet and the piece ends with pairs braided the way we finish up samples, as opposed to a cut edge or a prettily finished edge. But, where do these samples come from and why does the Gruuthusemuseum think they might be 20th century? The book was published in 1990 and the collection is in Bruges where people know a lot about lace. The piece I am studying appears to me to be two lappets sewn together that could date from the late 18th or the early 19th century. Thus my alarm when I see a photo of a sample that looks quite similar that claims 19th or 20th century as its date and that this photo comes from Bruges. Thoughts? Devon
> - To unsubscribe send email to [email protected] containing the line: unsubscribe lace [email protected]. For help, write to [email protected]. Photo site: http://www.flickr.com/photos/lacemaker/sets/
