Hi, friends (yes I want something!!) Smile.
This lockdown gave me the "search Frenzies" today, and it was quite productive. I have found a bobbin inscription which is asking for an Ancestry (Or whatever) search and secondly the name of a possible East Devon bobbin maker. Here is the auctioneers information of the lot they were selling and the two issues are within this. _____ A large group of Honiton and Devon bobbins, 17th century to modern Including eight with inscriptions, including 'SAG. BJH. When this you see remember me, tho many a mile we distant be.' and ' Take this, my dare, and prove true, till I return from seeing to you, Ann Bond, February 18, The gift is small but love is all when this you see, remember mee, A.E.Saunders'; three Devonshire Trollies; fifteen dated examples, 1696-1851; a set of four small decorated bobbins; five 19th century initialled examples; several examples decorated with aqua fortis; and a large group of modern examples, including ten inlaid/spliced examples by Harry Gates of Pinhoe, a number of floral decorated examples, and others. (qty) _____ First the genealogical request from me. You will see that an A.E. Saunders gave Ann Bond a gift. To have these names on a bobbin is very rare and if anyone has the search skills to see if they can be identified to some extent I would be very grateful. No year date Just Feb 18th. (near to St Valentine's date!) The second one is that they offer the name of Harry Gates of Pinhoe (near Exeter) as a bobbin maker. Can we discover anything about this person, please? This is the first name I have had other than Gertrude Whiting's names as bobbin makers from her trip to Devon. Sorry that genealogy is not my thing. Your help would be appreciated. Many thanks Brian - To unsubscribe send email to [email protected] containing the line: unsubscribe lace [email protected]. For help, write to [email protected]. Photo site: http://www.flickr.com/photos/lacemaker/sets/
