Dear Brian

I am no expert in copyright but am very interested in the subject. Common
sense tells me that the museum can only copyright photographs of objects in
their collection that they took/commissioned themselves, and not the
historical objects themselves that are clearly in the public domain.

Paid access to the objects could be substantiated in the specialised labour
involved in preparing the objects for viewing, and the expense of their
conservation in general, so a minimal fee seems fair.

You can obviously manipulate your own images in any way you wish, (
although academic/journalism ethics apply to your situation which you
acknowledge, so it is not clear why the Museum mentions that at all. I
might be misinterpreting one paragraph. As a matter of interest. What do
you mean exactly here?:

"They claim that my flattening of an image is "Manipulation". It is not, I
just print say 5 images very close together, then the bobbin looks flat. I
rarely if ever make any changes to an image."

I empathize with your situation. How awful to have a prime subject of your
curiosity willfully inaccessible when your intentions are clearly for the
greater good!

Best

Pierre

-
To unsubscribe send email to [email protected] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [email protected]. For help, write to
[email protected]. Photo site:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lacemaker/sets/

Reply via email to