Hi Sue,
I was reading your long email about your trials and tribulations and how you 
were in the doldrums of lace making that some of us fall into at different 
times.  I was sorry to hear of your losses in the family and send you my 
condolences, and Ihope your nephew recovers successfully from his operation.  I 
was also touched that seeing my poppy design helped you get your mojo back.

At the present I am making a six pointed Russian star for a Jewish friend who 
wants a lace donation for a charity event she is helping plan.  I started it on 
Sunday, and not having the correct linen thread, I started making it using DMC 
Cordonnet 20.  It filled the spaces but looks so heavy that this afternoon I 
undid the two points of the star to start again.  This time I am going to use 
DMC 50, but put in more passives to fill the spaces.  I have made this pattern 
before, probably 20 years ago, and had it mounted between two circular pieces 
of glass with a simple stained glass red border. I used thin thread, as I 
probably had no idea how thick Linen 30/3 was back then.  It has sat in the 
window of two homes, each time in full sunlight, and it has not come to any 
harm yet.  It will probably outlast me.  I remember that the lady who mounted 
the lace in the glass delivered it to my home rather than trusting the mail, 
and I was working on a simple Schneeberger cat designed by !
 Lia Baumiester.  She was enthralled with it and asked me how much I would 
charge to make some for her.  I enquired of lace friends and they said $25, 
which is what she charged for the glass piece.  Needless to say she never 
ordered any. :-)  At the time, she was mounting those "handmade" Chinese 
doilies in her glass pieces which she probably got for $3 each.

This Saturday my guild start demonstrating at the San Diego County Fair where 
we were asked to teach fair goers how to make lace.  We chose a very simple 
fish design and the thread will be hung onto large plastic paperclips.  Can't 
use brooch pins in case the little dears prick themselves.  The organizers 
wanted us to do 100 fish per three hour session!!  Obviously they have never 
seen bobbin lace being made.  That has been revised to 20 fish, but we will see 
how it goes.  Any bets on how many get made on Saturday.  There will only be 
two of us doing the teaching, and getting the pillows ready for the next 
students.  We will have a have a go snake on a pillow for those who only want 
to try a row or two.

Janice
 
Janice Blair Murrieta, CA, 
jblace.com

-
To unsubscribe send email to [email protected] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [email protected]. For help, write to
[email protected]. Photo site:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lacemaker/sets/

Reply via email to