It has been a while since I read it, but I found Monica Ferris's book
disappointing in terms of lacemaking. I remember thinking that she had
obviously researched this to the point of visiting a bobbin lacemaker
and watching what she did, and writing down how the lacemaker
described it. I thought that part was good. However, the solution to
the mystery relied on the concept that a bobbin lacemaker would
routinely "sign"  her work with a motif. In this case, the lacemaker
always included a butterfly on a piece of lace. At the end of the book
there is a pattern of a butterfly which is counted cross stitch. The
explanation for this is "This pattern is worked in a combination of
straight or back stitches and cross stitches to look like bobbin
lace." I think this is a sentence that doesn't make sense.
I appreciate that Monica Ferris is trying to write mysteries that
appeal to craftspeople. But, I think she understands needlepoint and
cross stitch quite well, and in this case tried to plug in bobbin lace
to a plot that would make more sense for needle point or cross stitch.
It is relatively easy to add your name and a date, or an identifying
motif to those mediums, but bobbin lace is entirely different. It is
quite hard to extemporize in a continuous bobbin lace to the extent of
throwing in a butterfly. While, I suppose it is not impossible to make
a butterfly in a non-continuous lace like Honiton and put it in the
piece, usually a butterfly is so difficult to make, being one of the
most beautiful and ornamental motifs, that it would be more likely to
be the centerpiece of a design than an inconspicuous signature.
Perhaps the plot would have been more believable if she had chosen
embroidered filet as the lace medium rather than bobbin lace.
Devon

-
To unsubscribe send email to [email protected] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [email protected]. For help, write to
[email protected]. Photo site:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lacemaker/sets/

Reply via email to