My great, great grandmother was a lacemaker; on the 1861 census she was
aged 20 and her trade was described thus - 'Farm labourer's daughter'. I
always thought this was because her parents were trying to make her look
like a good catch (i.e. 'our daughter doesn't have to work we have the
funds to keep her') but now I am wondering whether they were actually
trying to pretend she was not a drug addled whore.

I suppose that's better than the acquitted murderer allegedly on my
maternal side!

On 25 May 2018 at 13:30, Devon Thein <[email protected]> wrote:

> One concept that I seem to have gleaned from my reading is that the
> lacemakers in England did well during the Napoleonic Wars because
> trade with the continent was cut off. Then after the Napoleonic Wars
> things became much worse for them. Perhaps their number swelled during
> the period when people had to buy English lace. After the wars the
> English were able to buy European lace which they preferred.
> Devon
>
> -
> To unsubscribe send email to [email protected] containing the line:
> unsubscribe lace [email protected]. For help, write to
> [email protected]. Photo site:
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/lacemaker/sets/
>

-
To unsubscribe send email to [email protected] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [email protected]. For help, write to
[email protected]. Photo site:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lacemaker/sets/

Reply via email to