Dear Debbie, It may be the case that there really are not enough lacemaking scenes in A Woman's Face to justify watching the entire movie, except that I feel the general subject matter may appeal to the attendees. Similarly the Scarlet Letter with Demi Moore has some wonderful lacemaking scenes. I often wonder who was the technical advisor, and if it was really Demi's hands making the lace. If so, hats off to Demi because it was flawless. But, the movie still is largely not about lacemaking. There is also a Turkish art film with bobbin lacemaking in it that I saw at Bennington College on parent's weekend, years ago. I was once the lace consultant to a stage production of Dona Rosita, the Spinster by Frederico Garcia Lorca that occurred at the Bowerie Theatre. I showed the actress how I made lace. She did not actually learn how to make lace, but when I attended (free tickets were my payment) she certainly looked like she was doing it from the audience. Dona Rosita actually makes lace in a number of scenes so if there is some screen version this is also a possibility. Unfortunately, the theme of the play was along the lines that people make lace when life's other joys are being denied to them. This is certainly not our experience in the Brooklyn Lace Guild. I have to admit that your concept of assembling documentaries and youtubes is probably the best as there will not be so much non-lace plot to deal with. Devon PS. Here is the synopsis of A Woman's Face from Wikepedia A Woman's Face is a 1941 American film noir drama directed by George Cukor, starring Joan Crawford, Melvyn Douglas and Conrad Veidt. It tells the story of Anna Holm, a facially disfigured blackmailer, who because of her appearance, despises everyone she encounters. When a plastic surgeon corrects this disfigurement, Anna becomes torn between the hope of starting a new life and a return to her dark past.[2] Most of the film is told in flashbacks as witnesses in a courtroom give their testimonies. The screenplay was written by Donald Ogden Stewart, based on the play Il Etait Une Fois by Francis de Croisset. Another version of the story, a Swedish production, was filmed in 1938 as En Kvinnas Ansikte, starring Ingrid Bergman.[3] > >
- To unsubscribe send email to [email protected] containing the line: unsubscribe lace [email protected]. For help, write to [email protected]. Photo site: http://www.flickr.com/photos/lacemaker/sets/
