For those who know French, this coming event in Paris may be of interest in 
connection with Dean's query:
https://afao-asso.fr/fr/nos-partenaires/journees-d-etudes-guimet-afao/220-journee-d-etudes-au-musee-guimet-archeologie-et-histoire-du-tadjikistan

See, in particular, the presentation planned by Mme Valerie Zaleski.


Matthew Kapstein
Directeur d'études, émérite
Ecole Pratique des Hautes Etudes, Paris

Numata Visiting Professor of Buddhist Studies,
The University of Chicago

https://brill.com/view/title/60949

https://ephe.academia.edu/MatthewKapstein

________________________________
From: INDOLOGY <[email protected]> on behalf of Dean Michael 
Anderson via INDOLOGY <[email protected]>
Sent: Monday, November 22, 2021 9:57 AM
To: Indology List <[email protected]>
Subject: [INDOLOGY] Hindus and Buddhists in Central Asia


I've been working on the Indo-Europeans and some of their interactions.

It started with the discovery that Vikings penetrated into Central Asia. Their 
hoards in Scandinavia contain silver coins from Afghanistan. While they might 
not have gone all the way there, it seems certain that they did penetrate well 
into Central Asia -- probably at least as far as the Caspian Sea.

That led me to the second question which I asked here. Thanks again for all of 
the fascinating answers in another thread here that discussed Indo-Aryan 
influences as far as the Philippines and beyond.

Now I'm looking back in the other direction again and wondering if anyone can 
provide more sources on evidence for Hindus and Buddhists in Central Asia. The 
Buddhists are better attested and there were probably more of them, but I was 
wondering what evidence we have for both groups in Central Asia.

Best,

Dean

_______________________________________________
INDOLOGY mailing list
[email protected]
https://list.indology.info/mailman/listinfo/indology

Reply via email to