Hi all,

After following the recent discussions on originators, re-originators and the 
proposed f=reorigin flag, I realized that my understanding of the DKIM2 trust 
model may have been different from what is now being discussed.

When I first read the specification, I came away with a much simpler mental 
model.

I assumed that a DKIM2 chain represents a complete chain of responsibility for 
a message:

the first DKIM2 signature (i=1) always belongs to the originator;
every subsequent signature represents an intermediary that modified the message 
and therefore takes responsibility for that modification;
intermediaries that do not modify the message simply relay it and do not add a 
DKIM2 signature.

Under that interpretation, the receiver can always identify the originator as 
the first signer in the chain, while every subsequent signer is simply another 
accountable participant in the message's history.

This is why I'm struggling a little with the recent discussions around 
"re-originators".

If an intermediary modifies the message, why isn't it simply another signer in 
the existing chain?

If it creates what is effectively a new message, shouldn't that start a new 
DKIM2 chain instead?

In other words, I'm wondering whether introducing a distinct "re-originator" 
concept is actually necessary at the protocol level, or whether the chain 
itself already expresses the sequence of responsibility.

Perhaps I'm missing an important deployment scenario, but I thought I'd ask 
because my original reading of the specification led me to this simpler 
interpretation.

Regards,

Pietro

Da: Wei Chuang <[email protected]>
Inviato: venerdì 24 luglio 2026 08:07
A: IETF <[email protected]>
Cc: ietf-dkim <[email protected]>; Tobias Herkula 
<[email protected]>
Oggetto: [Ietf-dkim] Re: R: Another question: introducing DKIM2 for non-DKIM2 
originators

Apologies for missing this earlier and for the late post just right before 
Vienna.

On Thu, Jul 16, 2026 at 6:26 AM IETF 
<[email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:
Hi All, and Hi Tobias,

While reading both the current specification and the DKIM2 BCP draft, I came 
away with the understanding that the intended trust model is that a DKIM2 chain 
starts with a DKIM2 originator.
In particular, the current BCP seems to discourage a DKIM2-capable forwarder 
from introducing a DKIM1-only message into the DKIM2 ecosystem, unless I'm 
misunderstanding its intent.

I don't think the BCP text is necessarily discouraging introducing DKIM1 only 
message to DKIM2.  Rather it acknowledges that introducing a DKIM1 message to 
DKIM2 makes subsequent DKIM2 receivers vulnerable to DKIM replay that DKIM2 is 
meant to prevent.  The BCP text calls out that it is the forwarder introducing 
the DKIM1 message's responsibility to prevent DKIM replay.  How this is done is 
up to local policy.  If the forwarder fails to do that, as Richard says, the 
forwarder causing the vulnerability is identified by their DKIM2 signature.

But this does bring up a different point.  The definition of "originator" needs 
to be clear so we can tell if a DKIM1-only message was admitted into DKIM2 by a 
forwarder or if it originated in DKIM2.  The BCP and DKIM2 specs reference 
"originator" from 
RFC5598<https://urlsand.esvalabs.com/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.rfc-editor.org%2Finfo%2Frfc5598%2F%23section-2.2.1&e=b336b1a5&h=16fd070f&f=n&p=y&m=4h5yFG6N28zJmkd>
 and there it is defined in SMTP mail architecture by its function.  However a 
receiver needs to identify whether an originator was present based on the 
evidence in the message, particularly the header fields.  I propose that the 
BCP define "originator" based on From: header field alignment with the i=1 
DKIM2 signature.  To me that is the most intuitive approach since it is the 
signature closest to the message Author.  There may be other later DKIM2 
signatures that align with the From: header field, particularly if the From 
header was rewritten to support DMARC which is likely interesting, but probably 
less important to the Receiver.

That's why your question caught my attention.
Is the current specification intentionally leaving this undefined for now, or 
is the expectation that a DKIM1 message should never become the starting point 
of a DKIM2 chain?

I think the DKIM2 spec is intentionally vague there, leaving such 
considerations to the BCP for now.  I agree that at some point we should think 
about whether these interoperability considerations along with a specification 
for DKIM2's interaction with DMARC ought to go into another standard (or 
proposed standard) track document.
-Wei


Regards,
Pietro Mauri

Da: Tobias Herkula 
<[email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>>
Inviato: mercoledì 15 luglio 2026 22:51
A: ietf-dkim <[email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>>
Oggetto: [Ietf-dkim] Another question: introducing DKIM2 for non-DKIM2 
originators

Questa è la prima volta che ricevi un'email da questo mittente. Assicurati che 
sia qualcuno di cui ti fidi.
Hi all,

One more observation from my reading of the draft.

I noticed that I couldn't find any guidance on introducing DKIM2 for messages 
originating from systems that are not DKIM2-aware.

The draft appears to assume that the trust chain starts at the originator, 
which intuitively seems like the cleaner model to me. However, I could also 
imagine deployments where the first DKIM2-capable MTA attempts to introduce an 
existing message into the DKIM2 ecosystem.

If such a deployment is not intended, I think it might be worth stating that 
explicitly. If it is intended, I would have expected the draft to discuss the 
associated trust semantics and what exactly the first DKIM2 signature is 
asserting in that situation.

I'm not advocating for introducing this capability—in fact, my expectation was 
that the trust chain should begin with the originator. I was simply surprised 
that I couldn't find any text confirming or rejecting this deployment model.

Regards,
Tobias

--
Questo messaggio e' stato analizzato con Libraesva ESG ed e' risultato non 
infetto.
Clicca qui per segnalarlo come 
spam.<https://urlsand.esvalabs.com/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fmail2.mcnsrl.it%2Faction%2F4h0pHY3dRtzH20H%2Freport-as-bad&e=b336b1a5&h=f7b3375a&f=n&p=y&m=4h5yFG6N28zJmkd>

Clicca qui per metterlo in 
blocklist<https://urlsand.esvalabs.com/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fmail2.mcnsrl.it%2Faction%2F4h0pHY3dRtzH20H%2Fblocklist&e=b336b1a5&h=74f74d1e&f=n&p=y&m=4h5yFG6N28zJmkd>
_______________________________________________
Ietf-dkim mailing list -- [email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>
To unsubscribe send an email to 
[email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>

--
Questo messaggio e' stato analizzato con Libraesva ESG ed e' risultato non 
infetto.
Clicca qui per segnalarlo come 
spam.<https://mail2.mcnsrl.it/action/4h5yFG6N28zJmkd/report-as-bad>

Clicca qui per metterlo in 
blocklist<https://mail2.mcnsrl.it/action/4h5yFG6N28zJmkd/blocklist>
_______________________________________________
Ietf-dkim mailing list -- [email protected]
To unsubscribe send an email to [email protected]

Reply via email to