His construct is interesting, Jon.  

I like the role of fiction in the formalization.  I also like his explicit 
sensitivity to gaps, something I have now been looking at as such for maybe a 
year or two.

I wonder, though:  To my mind, part of the reason Origins is still a young 
science after almost 100 years, whereas the whole of quantum theory was largely 
worked out to the current state, from nearly-nothing, in less than 50, is that 
Origins is “complex” in a way that the hierarchy of matter is not.  Here, by 
“complex” I intend to mean something rather narrow and operationalizable:  You 
can’t make many good decisions about which stones you want to throw into the 
river until enough stones are in place that you can mostly cross over them.  
That means you face a combinatorial decision problem nearly the whole way 
along, about what to commit to when you have mostly-gaps and few commitments.  
That problem keeps a science young for a very long time.  

It would be interesting to see if David has thoughts about how to formalize 
these cost-of-search questions, as they differ among different problems.  (I 
haven’t been able to watch the whole talk yet, maybe the first half, into the 
parts on langauge.)

Eric



> On Oct 7, 2026, at 9:25, Jon Zingale <[email protected]> wrote:
> 
> In his lecture "Plausible Fiction: Accounting for Actualizing Potential", my 
> man David name drops EricS:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDB26DFATAU&t=460s
> .- .-.. .-.. / ..-. --- --- - . .-. ... / .- .-. . / .-- .-. --- -. --. / ... 
> --- -- . / .- .-. . / ..- ... . ..-. ..- .-..
> FRIAM Applied Complexity Group listserv
> Fridays 9a-12p Friday St. Johns Cafe   /   Thursdays 9a-12p Zoom 
> https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=https%3a%2f%2fbit.ly%2fvirtualfriam&c=E,1,kE6TwbtbcCj0Ommpye0HNUj7mRy9f4bOn6fofeQwGrpfB_6ahpczfy1zn17u6WswNlCxxQ0oUMEnZiYDXrhrdSzfZ9b6n3AtTKTMFtkGRi1QHg,,&typo=1
> to (un)subscribe 
> https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=http%3a%2f%2fredfish.com%2fmailman%2flistinfo%2ffriam_redfish.com&c=E,1,cTyk7LZ3ER23PbreSfW0dspJk3Ua_pbb1Q-AZphl00Eo6ojJbO4UefrnXl0DnllEm_GMoBCVqyzvXbdkGaQFf0QnxpeipTtc6MZGs6IAOwkzWXkuxsAZ&typo=1
> FRIAM-COMIC 
> https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=http%3a%2f%2ffriam-comic.blogspot.com%2f&c=E,1,Bd-DKBJwOdGJo2v3UJpoRQCYB4as0aclEDE73_hsgIAeFVx3m6XYDWljPTxdjL7HEOh846oAe3lWXWqgKhsGufkX3Sbka_Ky-ZZ5YFfYIPjJBwADakKd&typo=1
> archives:  5/2017 thru present 
> https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=https%3a%2f%2fredfish.com%2fpipermail%2ffriam_redfish.com%2f&c=E,1,pA-sAFbWNPk88_EGnWtyv5VYcdUVBHc_vo3gGNtLJHafZjmsIaWwWCaU6fQS2JPNWNp-y-F6Tx2Tjs7mIrQGrnG5taZKRyYT7vMLOq9Y4EUZ&typo=1
>  1/2003 thru 6/2021  http://friam.383.s1.nabble.com/

.- .-.. .-.. / ..-. --- --- - . .-. ... / .- .-. . / .-- .-. --- -. --. / ... 
--- -- . / .- .-. . / ..- ... . ..-. ..- .-..
FRIAM Applied Complexity Group listserv
Fridays 9a-12p Friday St. Johns Cafe   /   Thursdays 9a-12p Zoom 
https://bit.ly/virtualfriam
to (un)subscribe http://redfish.com/mailman/listinfo/friam_redfish.com
FRIAM-COMIC http://friam-comic.blogspot.com/
archives:  5/2017 thru present https://redfish.com/pipermail/friam_redfish.com/
  1/2003 thru 6/2021  http://friam.383.s1.nabble.com/

Reply via email to