On 10/2/26 13:49, Chris Albertson wrote:
So you are using a USB-to-serial interface to connect the LCNC computer to the 
VFD?     My understanding is that modbus is usually RS-485.  Not RS232.    SO I 
assume a USB-to-RS-485 dongle is used.

Nope, on the 6040 I'm using the d-a built into the 7i76d, direct to the Analog input on the vfd.  There are also pins for enable & direction that I couldn't make work like I wanted, so those were reassigned to normal digital pins.  Testing worked ok, but I can't recall ever using spindle reverse in a g-code program.

I had to use what would have been stepgen pins on the 7i90HD driving the sheldon but its been a decade+ since I last had the hal file in an editor, so the details are fuzzy.  I have around 50  of the 72 i/o pins used, with enough left over for an enco style tool changer, but gave up hoovering ebay for one years ago.

The hand cranks on the Sheldon left, replaced by 2 $22 encoder 100 ppt a/b dials, switched function so they are also speed controls by a pushbutton beside the dials. Speed is actually how many counts of the motor each pulse from the dials is, so that control never leaves digital. At speed 1, it can dial a fraction of a thou. At the highest speed it outruns the motors max but doesn't lose a count.

My first thought is that I would hate to haver to debug this without being able 
to see what is going over the wire.   A logic analyzer would be my “go to” 
tool.    YOu can buy cheap ones, well under $100 or even under $40 if the data 
is low-spedd (under about 10MHz)

Then you can see what was actually sent and received rather than what you think 
should have been sent.  Usually the problem is those two things don’t match.
I grew up with a scope probe or a soldering iron in my left hand so I know what 
the signals should look like

Why not delete the line in the .ini file that applies to TCP if you are using 
serial.

My serial is the 3 wire SPI between the rpi4 and the 7I90HD, where the com speed is 42&small change megabaud tx, 25 megabaud rx.  In 32 bit packets. Bulletproof...  The TCP facility's are only network, nothing from LinuxCNC goes thru the RJ45. On any of my machines.

Now with the ability to see the data, you can ask very specific questions like “I 
thought I sent X, but Y came out. What’s up?"

Why ask me?   I was the dumb guy who simply glued a servo to the speed control 
knob and actually turned the physical knob.    (But I would never do that for a 
paying customer; the serial data link is the way to go.)
I've been looking at waveforms since my 16th. 1950.  Now I use Siglents best 350 mhz/channel, 4 color channel scope. $3500 shipped.

We dance to different tempo's but both of us get the job done.

On Oct 2, 2026, at 9:17 AM, maurice e heskett <[email protected]> wrote:

On 10/2/26 11:33, Viesturs Lācis wrote:
Hello!

I have a VFD that I can nicely start and stop with an output from 7i84
board, but customer does not like the fact that I replicated origin0al
solution of setting spindle speed with potentiometer. They want to do
that from g-code so that it is consistent and not a subject for
operator to mess up. Unfortunately all analog outputs on 7i33 board
are already used for servodrives so I would prefer avoiding adding
more boards.
It is Invertek Optidrive E3 VFD and I have usb-to-rs485 converter.
lsusb shows it as CH340 chip. With some other commands I was able to
determine that it is using ttyUSB0 port.

Here is the section of Optidrive E3 manual that describes the modbus
message contents:
https://ibb.co/PzFsq8fP

And according to manual I can still have start/stop signal the way I
have now even when the drive is in Modbus mode so what I would need is
to send the frequency value (optionally - read actual frequency to
determine "spindle-at-speed" and "spindle-is-stopped"):
https://ibb.co/PGXK2gW5

I tried searching web of how to start and went for mb2hal route.
In HAL file I have:
loadusr -W mb2hal config=mb2hal.ini

Here is contents of mb2hal.ini file:
https://pastebin.com/h9qHcPR1

I tried looking at pins of mb2hal component in HalShow but the only
thing that was changing was a pin that shows number of errors.
mb2hal.ini file has 2 entries about debug messages but I did not even
understand where to find them so at the moment I have exactly no idea
what is wrong and how to proceed so I would appreciate if someone
could hold my hand and then gently poke in correct direction. It seems
like a basic thing of what people are doing with VFDs over modbus but
I have never done that.

Viesturs
The only suggestion & probably way out in left field that I'll make is to use a 
analog numerical output pin to control a mesa spinx1.  I'm using one to drive my 
sheldon's vfd.  The only other vfd is on my 6040 gantry & it makes use of the 
spindle output of a 7i76d, which is direct up to 24k revs.  Modbus I'll have to plead 
no knowledge of.  There s/b today, ready made solutions, probably USB fed. PCW probably 
has something.

_______________________________________________
Emc-users mailing list
[email protected]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/emc-users
.

_______________________________________________
Emc-users mailing list
[email protected]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/emc-users


_______________________________________________
Emc-users mailing list
[email protected]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/emc-users
_______________________________________________
Emc-users mailing list
[email protected]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/emc-users

Reply via email to