On 9/25/26 14:10, Chris Albertson wrote:
The need for a password on login is independent of how you access the computer: 
the serial port, Ethernet, WiFi, or a direct connection with HDMI and USB 
keyboard; it is all the same.  The need for a login is controlled by the 
/etc/passwd file or, in modern systems, from the shadow password file.  And it 
varies by username.   If there is an encrypted password in the field then that 
user needs to enter a password.  is the fild is is blank then no password is 
needed (blank means a zero-length string)

What is the big picture?

The box in question is a genuine one-off, Chris, nothing like it on this ball of rock & water, all out of my wet ram, everything built into a 6 slot drive cage, on shelves I printed, with two 4T SSD's per shelf + a 1t spinning rust, as an 11 something T raid6  with a bananapi-m5 on the bottom shelf.  Two 7 port USB3.1 hubs glued to the sides of the cage as one could not handle the current drains of more than 2 SSD drives  per hub. Drives are on Startech USB to sata-iii adapters.

I intended it to be my system backup, backing up the user 1000 home dirs of every machine here using rsync.  In 3 or 4 runs before I got waterlogged from failing kidneys, it made around 2 uncompressed T of 6 other machines in under 45 minutes, drawing a peak of 19 watts doing it, 14 watts sitting there doing nothing.

Now the billion dollar question is whats the  passwd's.  Spending quite a bit of summer time in the body shop, before getting plumbed for dialysis, I've forgotten.  Now it appears I have to put the sd card in a reader & nuke the pw's.  Readers s/b here Sunday.

I might be able to make orcaslicer run on it. I have a late copy of openscad already running on this tiny box and my son has a smaller flashforge 3d with 4 src spools.  Multi-color if driven correctly.

Just for S&G, I added up todays prices and almost hit the $6G mark, everything has at least doubled since I asked myself if I could do it with a pi clone & built it just because I could.

Thanks Chris.

   Is this a LCNC machine or a 3D Printer controller?  Debian-based Linux is 
the same on both.    I wonder why you need the serial power when SSH over 
Ethernet of WiFi should work.

It does from my sons winders tablet.

Except I am forever blocked from posting to a debian list a/o june 2024. I had problems with the bookworm net installer that no one else had.  And got too noisy about it.
If you have messed something up and networking is no longer working, the usual 
fix is to boot from a portable USB device— the disk, SSD or SD card— fix the 
issue, and then reboot from the main internal storage.     Many people can’t 
know how to fix the system and end up doing a reinstall.

OK serial login will get you access when the networking is broken, but whether 
a password is needed is determined by files in /etc.



On Sep 25, 2026, at 10:30 AM, maurice e heskett <[email protected]> wrote:

On 9/25/26 12:12, Chris Albertson wrote:
You need to cross over the wires.     The labels Rx or Tx are always from the 
connector's point of view.
got that Chris, but even that connection needs a login/passwd. I don't recall 
having to do that with a similar hookup to my last BIG (meter cubed) 3d 
printer.  So now I need a card reader.
On Sep 25, 2026, at 8:19 AM, maurice e heskett <[email protected]> wrote:

Hi all;

When hooking up the rxd/txd from a 3 wire test cable, should I swap rx to tx & 
vice versa, response is silent when direct.

_______________________________________________
Emc-users mailing list
[email protected]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/emc-users

_______________________________________________
Emc-users mailing list
[email protected]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/emc-users


_______________________________________________
Emc-users mailing list
[email protected]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/emc-users


_______________________________________________
Emc-users mailing list
[email protected]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/emc-users

Reply via email to