Quoted text is from <[email protected]>, by jobisez 
<[email protected]>

>I use IE.  I open a new tab and stay logged into the chat room 
><http://www.jobisez.com/services/online-edi-chat.aspx>   while I'm at 
>my computer. I do not stare at the screen waiting for someone to 
>signon. But when someone does sign into the chat room, a swishing noise 
>is made. I then go to that tab and strike up a conversation.
>
>It's more like Windows Live Messenger on steroids.

I belong to EDI-L, two or three EDI BBS's which have been announced here 
over the years, and three EDI groups on LinkedIn. The low level of 
activity has meant that one didn't visit them very often. Once LinkedIn 
started getting aggressive and sending emails about everything that 
happened the usage of its groups increased, but it then became an email 
notification system which was in fact clumsier than EDI-L, since you 
have to login to the relevant forum to respond.

The relevance of postings was also, from my point of view, poor. I work 
at the EDI coalface, implementing and troubleshooting a large number of 
client systems. This is the nuts and bolts of business communication, 
and postings about shifting the envelope, paradigm change, and the other 
fuzzy topics you get in the discussion groups are not relevant because, 
whatever approach is used, my work is going to be substantially 
unchanged. At least with EDI-L the majority of the active posters seem 
to work at the same level, and I know any question I pose will be 
addressed to my peer group.

I am not opposed to your EDI chat room. If you have the server and web 
support personnel infrastructure in place then the marginal cost of 
creating and running it is minor. I do not share your vision of 4,000+ 
experts being constantly logged in to it ready to drop everything at the 
first hint of a swishing noise but I can envisage that for some queries 
on EDI-L the appropriate response would be "This needs further 
elucidation and discussion. I will be in the chat room from 16:30 GMT. 
Join me there". However that would work just as well with Windows 
Messenger or Skype.

Note the 'GMT'. Online discussions between California and India (EDI-L 
has members throughout the world) are not going to be easy.

Regards
Chris
-- 
Chris Johnson  mobile:+44 (0)7785 302122 Fax: +44 (0)870 0519 818
EDI website    http://www.edimatrix.co.uk
EDIMatrix Ltd  work: 0845 126 0680 or +44 20 8778 1402
Registered in UK no. 2777624 Reg.Office: 34 Sydenham Rd, London SE26 5QF


------------------------------------

...
Please use the following Message Identifiers as your subject prefix: <SALES>, 
<JOBS>, <LIST>, <TECH>, <MISC>, <EVENT>, <OFF-TOPIC>

Job postings are welcome, but for job postings or requests for work: <JOBS> IS 
REQUIRED in the subject line as a prefix.Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/EDI-L/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/EDI-L/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    [email protected] 
    [email protected]

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email protected]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Reply via email to