#28270: Support MariaDB cluster (Galera)
-------------------------------------+-------------------------------------
     Reporter:  Oz Bar Shalom        |                    Owner:  nobody
         Type:  New feature          |                   Status:  new
    Component:  Database layer       |                  Version:  1.11
  (models, ORM)                      |
     Severity:  Normal               |               Resolution:
     Keywords:  database,            |             Triage Stage:
  configurations                     |  Unreviewed
    Has patch:  0                    |      Needs documentation:  0
  Needs tests:  0                    |  Patch needs improvement:  0
Easy pickings:  0                    |                    UI/UX:  0
-------------------------------------+-------------------------------------

Comment (by Adam (Chainz) Johnson):

 I've never used Galera, but as far as I understand it has unique behaviour
 and limitations in order to make it distributed, as per
 https://mariadb.com/kb/en/mariadb/mariadb-galera-cluster-known-
 limitations/ . Django probably can't "just work" in all cases with galera
 and it would need significant testing. Also Django isn't even tested
 against MariaDB yet, though I have no problems with it.

 I think for using a Galera cluster with a list of servers you'd need extra
 logic in the database backend. I'd recommend you try writing one that
 inherits from Django's built-in mysql backend, and then uses a random
 server from a configured list when opening each new connection. You'd need
 extra logic to keep track of which servers have failed to connect
 recently, not use them, and then retry them after time passing. It would
 need thorough testing to ensure it can survive all the vagaries of
 distributed systems.

 Given the relatively low usage of Galera (afaik) and the fact that Django
 isn't even tested on MariaDB at the moment, I don't see this being added
 to Django any time soon.

--
Ticket URL: <https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/28270#comment:3>
Django <https://code.djangoproject.com/>
The Web framework for perfectionists with deadlines.

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Django updates" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-updates/069.ca76b3b78070f33a7916bd4d6152ed0d%40djangoproject.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Reply via email to