> No need to invent new words to feel "politically correct". Neologisms are what make us able to describe the world we live in. They have nothing to do with feeling politically correct, and on the contrary have all sorts of real life implications.
To see what I mean in practical terms, you may want to try to translate po4a’s manual with 16th century French exclusively to see how far you go (and you’ll discover that gender agreement rules then were much smarter than they are now and that there were also much more double-gender profession nouns then than now). > Just write "traducteurs" or if you prefer "traducteurs et traductrices". No, in fact, as I wrote above, I prefer to reformulate sentences to make them sound natural even without a person noun, or use pronouns like “vous” while avoiding sentences that require a gender agreement. All in all, it is actually quite easy to write very well formed and pleasant to read non-exclusive sentences. > In any case I never use his "novlangue", but follow the recommendations of > l'Académie française. I fully agree with the opinions expressed by its late > Secrétaire perpétuel, Hélène Carrère d'Encausse, reported in > https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/H%C3%A9l%C3%A8ne_Carr%C3%A8re_d%27Encausse#Non-f%C3%A9minisation_de_la_langue_fran%C3%A7aise When we have a “secrétaire perpetuel” for the po4a project, I am sure this recommendation will be useful. JC _______________________________________________ Devel mailing list -- [email protected] To unsubscribe send an email to [email protected]
