Very cool :)

I've been doing my own trial using
https://github.com/franktheunicorn/franktheunicorn but I've been doing the
actual review posting manually.

On Thu, Oct 1, 2026 at 3:01 PM Hyukjin Kwon <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've been running a trial of automated AI code review on new apache/spark
> PRs, and I'd like to share how it works and get your feedback.
>
> For now the reviews are posted from my own GitHub account (@HyukjinKwon)
> while I check that it behaves well. Once it's proven, I plan to move it to
> the https://github.com/spark-test account, so the reviews are clearly
> separate from my personal ones. I plan to run this for the next week.
>
> *What it does*
>
> Each review is a full, multi-pass review of the PR diff, run by Claude
> (via Claude Code). Findings are checked against the code before they're
> posted. They're posted as a normal GitHub review: a short summary plus
> inline comments, each labeled with a severity, e.g. "Non-blocking (P2)"
> or "Nit (P3)". Example:
> https://github.com/apache/spark/pull/59184#pullrequestreview-5379759787
>
> *No LGTM, no approvals*
>
> - It never approves a PR and never posts "LGTM". Every review is a plain
>   "Comment" review, so it doesn't count as an approval or a change
>   request, and it has no effect on merging.
> - If a review finds nothing new, it posts nothing at all: no "no
>   findings" or "all comments addressed" message.
> - It doesn't push commits or edit anyone's PR.
> - Human review and committer judgement are unchanged. Please treat its
>   comments like any other reviewer's: feel free to push back or ignore.
>
> *When a review is triggered*
>
> - A new PR is reviewed shortly after it's opened. Draft PRs are reviewed
>   once they're marked ready for review.
> - After a review posts findings, the bot waits. It reviews again only
>   when the author pushes new commits.
> - It also waits while a PR has open review comments from anyone that are
>   newer than the latest commit, so it doesn't pile on while the author is
>   still responding to reviewers.
> - Replying in a thread without pushing doesn't trigger a re-review.
>
> *When it stops*
>
> - When a review finds nothing new. The PR gets a fresh review if the
>   author pushes again later.
> - When the PR is merged or closed.
>
> *Early numbers*
>
> Over the first ~12 hours (Oct 1), it covered 10 PRs, including 5
> re-reviews after the author pushed. It posted 7 reviews with 14 findings
> in total, mostly P3 nits. Four PRs came back clean and got no comment.
> Several authors pushed fixes, and the follow-up reviews found nothing
> new.
>
> *Feedback*
>
> Please let me know if the comments are useful, noisy, or wrong, either
> here or on the PR. If you'd rather it not review your PRs, tell me and
> I'll exclude them. I'm also happy to adjust when it triggers based on
> what the community prefers.
>
> Thanks,
> Hyukjin
>


-- 
Twitter: https://twitter.com/holdenkarau
Fight Health Insurance: https://www.fighthealthinsurance.com/
<https://www.fighthealthinsurance.com/?q=hk_email>
Books (Learning Spark, High Performance Spark, etc.):
https://amzn.to/2MaRAG9  <https://amzn.to/2MaRAG9>
YouTube Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/user/holdenkarau
Pronouns: she/her

Reply via email to