On 2026-09-24 09:55:07 +0700, Max Nikulin wrote:
> Are there Name Services (notice: not *DNS*, but in broad sense here) other
> than "host" (that usually includes DNS among other means for hostname
> resolution) where partial failures are possible? If not then I do not see
> any point in wasting resources for redesigning libnss and for rewriting its
> plugins (including 3rd party and internal ones). I believe, it is easier to
> stop using nscd for the "host" service leaving the tool to the scope where
> it performs reasonably well.

Then it should be documented that nscd behaves poorly on this service.

> I suspect, nscd has no notion of AF_UNSPEC, AF_INET, AF_INET6 and instead it
> operates on more generic level.

I can see several occurrences of AF_INET and AF_INET6 in several
nscd source files, but no AF_UNSPEC except in a test file. Perhaps
it is designed to handle AF_INET and AF_INET6 specifically but
caches AF_UNSPEC as a generic entry by mistake.

-- 
Vincent Lefèvre <[email protected]> - Web: <https://www.vinc17.net/>
100% accessible validated (X)HTML - Blog: <https://www.vinc17.net/blog/>
Work: CR INRIA - computer arithmetic / Pascaline project (LIP, ENS-Lyon)

Reply via email to