On Fri, 2026-10-02 at 21:16 -0700, Soren Stoutner wrote:
> There appears to be no use for EOT fonts in Debian (Debian has no
> packages that can display them, no modern browser on the web can
> display them).

The only use case I can still see is if you have web content that needs
to be displayed with a specific font on embedded/IoT Windows clients
(e.g. some industrial barcode scanners/tablets), which appears to be
the only platform where IE is still supported.


It might also be useful to discuss this with upstreams, to
avoid/minimise changes in Debian packages.  E.g. I talked to some GIMP
people and they basically never thought about why they are still
shipping those fonts (I also filed an issue in their bug tracker as a
reminder).


PS: someone in the #gimp IRC channel mentioned that the same might
apply to the SVG fonts shipped with documentation, which might only be
there for ancient unsupported iOS web browsers?



-- 
Jan Claeys

(please don't CC me when replying to the list)

Reply via email to