Marion - you have touched upon a theme where there might be scholarly articles in some of the more obscure publications of Irish History (I am thinking particularly of Irish and Economic & Social History Journal published from 1974).
By way of introduction I wrote a short piece on marriage pre-civil registration reflecting on marriages in an early period based on a case study of the Coleraine and Roe Valley (Limavady) districts. http://www.ulsterheritage.com/history/marriage_in_ireland.htm It doesn't cover all of your questions but hope you find it interesting. Regards Bobby Forrest ________________________________ From: CoTyroneList <[email protected]> on behalf of Marion via CoTyroneList <[email protected]> Sent: 21 June 2020 12:10 To: CoTyroneIreland.com Mailing List <[email protected]> Cc: Marion <[email protected]> Subject: [CoTyroneMailingList] Marriage Customs Hello all, I wonder if anyone can tell me or suggest where I might find out about marriage customs in nineteenth century Ireland, particularly amongst Ulster Scots. Were they based on social, cultural or religious factors ? Did the bride and groom have much input ? Were protestant and Roman Catholic approaches very different? Also what were the attitudes to illegitimacy by family members and society at large? How were the mothers and children treated ? Thank you in advance for your help ! Regards Marion Shephard Sent from Mail for Windows 10 _______________________________________________ CoTyroneList Mailing List Mailing List Email Address: [email protected] Change Your Preferences: http://cotyroneireland.com/mailman/listinfo/cotyronelist_cotyroneireland.com Mailing List Archive: https://goo.gl/mQCKrY _______________________________________________ CoTyroneList Mailing List Mailing List Email Address: [email protected] Change Your Preferences: http://cotyroneireland.com/mailman/listinfo/cotyronelist_cotyroneireland.com Mailing List Archive: https://goo.gl/mQCKrY

