Don,

don't rely on 'ages' to infer 'correct' dob. Birth dates were not generally recorded with accuracy, except on actual birth records, nor were birthdays celebrated much, as too many children didn't live long enough for it to matter. Many people just didn't know their year of birth or the date. So, especially on tombstones, censuses and death certs, age was too often not a reliable number. I have found discrepancies spanning 20 years, so 7 to 15 is nothing unusual. Just be careful to check your primary sources for confirmation that the people are actually the same.

A modern day example. My daughter-in-law lives in Hobart, Tasmania. A few years ago she went to the dentist for a checkup. Gave the receptionist her name and dob, as you do, and the R replied along the lines: "So you're here for a filling, please take a seat?"

"No", she replied, "I'm here just for a check-up". The receptionist referred to her notes. "It says here ... &c. Aren't you (so and so) person?", "Yes" was the reply. "And your dob is ...", "Yes" she answered, "But I'm not here for a filling, just a check up".

It transpired that there were 2 different people with the same name AND same dob AND attending the same dentist. How's that for a coincidence? Take care.

Cheers, Gordon

On 1/06/2020 8:53 am, Don 1 via CoTyroneList wrote:
If I am searching for a James Quigley, and I find a spread of 7 to 15 years 
-would this be the person I am looking for?
_______________________________________________
CoTyroneList Mailing List
Mailing List Email Address: [email protected]
Change Your Preferences: 
http://cotyroneireland.com/mailman/listinfo/cotyronelist_cotyroneireland.com
Mailing List Archive: https://goo.gl/mQCKrY

--
_________________________________
Nereda & Gordon Wilkinson, Hyde Park, South Australia.
Web: www.ozemail.com.au/~neredon               Skype id: neredon
Emails: [email protected]        [email protected]


_______________________________________________
CoTyroneList Mailing List
Mailing List Email Address: [email protected]
Change Your Preferences: 
http://cotyroneireland.com/mailman/listinfo/cotyronelist_cotyroneireland.com
Mailing List Archive: https://goo.gl/mQCKrY

Reply via email to