Thanks Dawn. Much luck and good fortune with your research; you will enjoy the Ulster American Folk Park and the beautiful countryside. For maximum benefit, It is most important to undertake research prior to departing on your trip. Regards, Len Swindley
Sent from Mail<https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for Windows 10 From: Dawn Ritch<mailto:[email protected]> Sent: Sunday, 25 August 2019 1:17 PM To: [email protected]<mailto:[email protected]> Subject: RE: [CoTyroneMailingList] Dr. John Rutledge That is helpful! Thank you! I am a beginner at this, but always found it interesting. Now, I want to find more. My great uncle, John David Rutledge, did alot of the research, and found out so much! Unfortunately, he passed away 2 years ago, and I do not know where all his research ended up. I have a missing link between one or two generations to John and Edward Rutledge, who signed the Constitution. But their father, Dr John Rutledge, is the one from Ireland. And I can get the Rutledge name, or the variances of the name, back from him. But I am finding the Irish and Scottish research so interesting! And since I will be going there, I really want to dig into it! So I greatly appreciate your help! Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android<https://overview.mail.yahoo.com/mobile/?.src=Android> On Sat, Aug 24, 2019 at 8:22 PM, Len Swindley <[email protected]> wrote: Am not sure you are going to be very successful in your search Dawn. Many U.S. researchers have some idea of the lives of their emigrant Irish forebear in America, but nothing prior. Looking at Google entries for Dr. John Rutledge it is claimed that he was born c1713 at Longford, Co. Tyrone; however there is no such location in Co. Tyrone. Perhaps his place of residence prior to emigration was Langfield (later changed to Longfield) in the Castlederg, Newtownstewart, Drumquin, Omagh area? There are no records surviving from that very early period that would confirm any family or date of birth. Later nineteenth century records indicate that the Rutledges were Presbyterians. The Google entry I located states that his father was an esquire; a landowner and qualified to sit on the bench. This title would not have been bestowed upon a Presbyterian as they were subject to both the Penal Laws and the Test Act where they were forbidden to hold any public office or sit as magistrates. Presbyterian congregations generally, kept no registers until the late 1820s It must be remembered that prior to the Famine (1849-50) it was mainly Protestants, particularly Presbyterians who emigrated to North America. Generally, it was the younger sons of tenant farmers who sought political and religious freedom and hopes of fortune in the American colonies. It is estimated that 270,000 Presbyterians emigrated to North America c1720-1775. Vast numbers who left no records in Ireland. For some flavour of the times during John Rutherford’s life in Ireland, I thoroughly recommend the Ulster-American Folk Park at Castletown, Omagh with the attached Mellon Centre for Migration Studies. If you are visiting Belfast, a visit to the Public Record Office of Northern Ireland (PRONI), Titanic Quarter, is essential Trust this is useful, Len Swindley, Melbourne, Australia Sent from Mail<https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for Windows 10
_______________________________________________ CoTyroneList Mailing List Mailing List Email Address: [email protected] Change Your Preferences: http://mail.cotyroneireland.com/mailman/listinfo/cotyronelist_cotyroneireland.com Mailing List Archive: https://goo.gl/mQCKrY

