On 22/09/2026 21:08, Kamila Szewczyk wrote:
Colin, Pádraig,

Thanks you for your input.  At the moment it seems like the runtime
degradation is imperceptible (I ran some large-scale tests).  However,
if you would like me to, I can fix the potential slowdown and send a
patch that uses hash lookup instead.  It's a more general solution;
refusing entries to mask this slowness only postpones the inevitable.

It wouldn't be fair to impose implementing that on you.

Regarding popularity, I would not look at Debian popcon alone.  In my
subjective opinion it's not much more unpopular than lrzip; popcon is
Debian-only and opt-in only, I think that the statistics it shows skew
against new (fsvo new -- 2022 was 4 years ago) tools.  bzip3 is also
packaged in Fedora, Arch, Alpine, Homebrew, FreeBSD ports and others.  I
am not sure however if we can get data out of these. However,
nonetheless, per popcon I saw that all of { rzip, zoo, unalz } rank
similarly or worse to bzip3 and still have an entry on the list.
Perhaps an acceptable compromise would be to remove some obsolete formats,
to make place for newer ones like bz3. I'll think about it.

cheers,
Padraig

Reply via email to