I think vendors have grasped this emerging opportunity very well. Take Cisco for example the openflow APIs are available to the majority of their high-end products and they have virtualized their OSes as well. I know for a fact that majority of SPs use some kind of NFV already. However I'd be interested to know how many SP the use SDN.
How I understand it is that SDN is network that orchestrates/provisions itself based on the traffic flows or application signaled requirements of course within operator's defined boundaries for a given service/customer/application. NFV on the other hand is using "cheap" processing power to offload network functions that don't have "high" pps requirements. The first think that comes to mind is control-plane (like Mark is doing with RRs) also some data-plane functions can be offloaded to servers like CGN or FW. And the nice think about NFV is that since you can do it in a "cloud" if designed correctly it should never go down. adam > -----Original Message----- > From: cisco-nsp [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of > Aaron > Sent: Thursday, June 19, 2014 10:33 PM > To: [email protected] > Subject: [c-nsp] sdn/nfv > > I hope you all don't mind the off-topic question in this cisco mail list. > you all are such a broad and smart and experienced group that I wanted to > reach out to everyone out there in the trenches to get a feel for what you all > know about sdn/nfv and do you see any movement on it yet, etc. > > > > I have been reading a little bit about sdn/nfv/openflow and it seems that > these are radical, new ideas that seem that they could really change a lot > about what we've know about networks for the past decades. > > > > Is anyone out there yet working with any sdn controllers?.... or nfv objects > in > servers. or openflow? > > > > Does sdn/nfv scare the heck out of equipment manufacturers ? > > > > Aaron > > > > > > _______________________________________________ > cisco-nsp mailing list [email protected] > https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp > archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/ _______________________________________________ cisco-nsp mailing list [email protected] https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/
