On Wed, 2011-06-01 at 09:18 +0200, Gert Doering wrote: > If the customer is really creative, they announce the more specifics via > the peering link *only* (but not to "the world"). So all the traffic is > attracted by the aggregate from your upstreams into your AS, and there the > packets get redirected by the more-specifics to the peering links. > > So you pay for your upstreams, and your peer gets the money from the > customer...
I can see why this specifically should not be allowed. :-) But I'm thinking there are several reasons for a customer to deaggregate and create a scenario indistinguishable from this without talking to the customer. > > What if I have a primary connection from AS11 and buy a backup > > connection (much lower bandwidth) from you, but another of your > > customers is the new Youtube? If you insist on sending traffic from them > > down the backup pipe I bought from you it wouldn't work. > > Different issue. If it's "just the backup" (e.g. "use community to set > local-pref 70"), it won't be propagated world wide, and won't attract > costly upstream traffic. In that case the ISP would prefer the peer link, which I assume have higher local preference. Or am I missing something? The result would be the same (traffic wise) as if the customer deaggregated towards the other ISP, i.e. OP scenario. If ISP #1 somehow does not prefer the peer route (where the traffic would end up at a 100 Mbit/s circuit I have with the peer) and instead insists on sending it towards the 4 Mbit/s backup circuit I have with the ISP #1 then I as a customer would be in trouble if other customers of ISP #1 are ones I ask for a lot of traffic from. -- Peter _______________________________________________ cisco-nsp mailing list [email protected] https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/
