Not to be confused with WPA2-psk which is like WPA psk but uses aes instead of TKIP cryptography.


----- Original Message ----- From: "Scott McGrath" <[email protected]>
To: "'cisco-nsp'" <[email protected]>
Sent: Monday, November 30, 2009 10:47 AM
Subject: Re: [c-nsp] Cisco AIRONET WPA-Enterprise w/Windows question..


Since there is WPA-PSK and WPA2 often known as Enterprise,

The real difference is that WPA-PSK uses a fixed 'pre-shared' key to encrypt the link between the AP and the supplicant, Enterprise assumes that a RADIUS server is available to authenticate the session and set the key for the session. What has not been discussed is what protocol is being used for these PEAP and/or EAP-TTLS are valid choices,

The encryption scheme is 'better' on enterprise as the key is not known before session instantiation, But WPA-PSK (aka Personal) and WPA2 both use the same cipher set to protect the session so the link is as secure but if the key is disclosed to unauthorized users the wireless network effectively has no security whereas WPA2 uses a user database and if the user's credentials are disclosed the endpoint can be deauthenticated and the users credentials changed. Whereas WPA-PSK requires reconfiguration of the AP(s) and supplicant reconfiguration,

Hope this helps

- Scott

Tony Varriale wrote:
What type of "enterprise" are you interested in? What's your user database?

tv
----- Original Message ----- From: "Howard Leadmon" <[email protected]>
To: "'cisco-nsp'" <[email protected]>
Sent: Saturday, November 28, 2009 12:35 PM
Subject: [c-nsp] Cisco AIRONET WPA-Enterprise w/Windows question..



 I have a question hopefully someone can give me a pointer or shed some
light on..



I have both an Aironet 1242AG and now a 1252AG access point, which are
working fine.   I have WPA2-Personal with a shared key setup and running
great as well. As it was my impression that Vista and Win7 both supported Enterprise authentication, which I figured would be better and more secure
than using the personal shared key stuff.



I have tried, and googled, and I for the life of me just can't seem to get Enterprise auth going.. Does anyone have any docs on getting the Aironet
and Windows to play together, configs, or links to info that will help?
Just FYI, I am trying to use the radius server built into the AP, as I
figured that would be simple enough, hopefully doing that is ok..







---

Howard Leadmon



_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list  [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/

_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list  [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/


_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list  [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/

_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list  [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/

Reply via email to