I guess I'm open to accepting that if I must.  I do have other controllers
that explicitly support Fuji 160..

But a 1985 controller, built by arguably The Controller Industry Leaders
not able to keep up with a tremendously popular 1981 disk?
And at the same time controller manual explicitly calling out support for
its newer (and presumably therefore faster) brethren disks?


On Wed, 20 May 2026 at 08:18, Tom Uban <[email protected]> wrote:

> As I recall, the Fujitsu drives are a bit faster than some of the SMD
> interfaces can handle.
>
> --tom
>
> On 5/19/26 15:03, Jacob Ritorto via cctalk wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >    I have this UD33 controller that works perfectly with another newer
> SMD
> > disk (CDC 9720), but when I try it against my beautiful old Fuji 160
> > (M2284K), It gets through format okay but has intermittent errors on
> verify
> > / reliability test.  If I reduce the number of cylinders / heads, I can
> get
> > it to pass, but not every time.
> >
> > I have a good thick ground and same cables that worked perfectly with the
> > other disk, hoping that's enough of a sanity check on those.
> >
> > I have the UD33 configured thusly:
> > type: 1
> > units: 1
> > sectors per track: 32
> > physical heads: 10
> > physical cylinders: 823
> > spare sectors per track: 1
> > spare cylinders: 2
> > configuration bits: 6
> > LOWER RPS: 3
> > UPPER RPS: 7
> > split into one drive with 1 head and the other with 9 heads to speed
> things
> > along :)
> > GAP 0: 259
> > GAP 1: 4112
> > GAP 2: 780
> > Spiral offset: 1
> >
> > The drive's switches are set for soft sectoring and tag 4/5 enabled.
> > I had tried hard sector setting on the drive with 32 sectors / 640 bytes.
> >
> > It's SO CLOSE to working I can taste it :).
> > I have another Fuji 160 that is doing basically the identical same
> > misbehaviour.
> >
> > And as usual, I am just not quite understanding the final clincher piece.
> >
> > Anyone know of better settings I should be using and most importantly
> Why?
> >
> > thx
> > jake
> >
> > P.S. I was hoping that somewhere someone would have written down what
> > controller settings work with the UD33 or QD32, etc, but no luck finding
> > them.  You'd think despite the 3 or so years gap in the disk vs
> controller
> > that this would've been officially supported at some moment in the
> > universe, no?  I just wish I knew how to calculate it properly myself!
>
>

Reply via email to