JP, Suggest you come to breakfast at the iHop (now owned by Apple?) on Saturday. We start arriving around 6:45 AM. The Ihop is the one in Stafford on the Northeast bound feeder of the SW Freeway (US 59) across from the Fountains shopping center. It is between US 90A and Kirkwood. Talk in on the 146.94 repeater. You can get mucho advice in face-to-face QSOs and maybe recruit an Elmer. No shortage of opinions here! Put faces to some of the voices.
73 de KF5TFJ (Jon) Sent from my iPad > On Apr 28, 2016, at 6:19 PM, JP Pritchard via BVARC <[email protected]> wrote: > > Wow! Great suggestions and recommendations, as well as wise counsel. Thank > you very much for taking the time to respond. And to those who offered to > loan me rigs to try, I will take you up on that. But I can't really test > drive anything until I get an antenna up. > > In that regard, I am not so much held back by the HOA as I am the cramped > quarters of my back yard and its proximity of power lines. I'm thinking my > best shot may be a broadband vertical of some kind. I hate to say it, but a > person would probably have to see the siutation to make a recommendation. I > live in the Braeburn Valley subdivision, near S Braeswood and S. Gessner. If > there are volunteers I'd love to hear from you. Otherwise, I'll soon make a > choice and get to erecting it, whatever it turns out to be. Again, thanks > again to all. > > JP > KG5MBG > > From: BVARC [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of JP Pritchard via > BVARC > Sent: Thursday, April 28, 2016 7:25 AM > To: [email protected] > Cc: JP Pritchard > Subject: [BVARC] Help > > Hi folks, > > I am a newbie to Ham Radio and a newbie to the club, so I'm writing to ask > for your help in picking a rig. I just passed my General exam so many options > are open to me and I'd like to explore a lot of those options. I currently > own a Baofeng HT and a Yaesu FT2900 two meter transceiver, but no equipment > for HF. I've been looking at HF VHF UHF units. I've even looked at the > Alesis KX3 and the Flex 1500. They don't cover the VHF-UHF bands but they do > appeal to me. Bottom line, I don't want to spend more than a thousand > dollars if possible. What do you suggest? As Sergeant Schultz used to say > on Hogan's Heroes, "I know nothing." I'll really appreciate your suggestions. > > JP (Richard) Pritchard > KG5MBG > _______________________________________________ > BVARC mailing list > [email protected] > http://mail.bvarc.org/mailman/listinfo/bvarc_bvarc.org
_______________________________________________ BVARC mailing list [email protected] http://mail.bvarc.org/mailman/listinfo/bvarc_bvarc.org
