> Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2026 10:46:07 +0200
> From: Patrice Dumas <[email protected]>
> 
> > It reminds me of the broken "Cygwin/MinGW" platform which I believe was
> > also on the Github CI.  I found some old emails about it.
> 
> It has something in common, in that it is a native Windows platform.
> But the similarity ends there, since the shell is completly different in
> the new platform and also probably the Windows runtime is different.  Eli
> could correct me, but my understanding is that the new platforms are
> more similar to the platform Eli tested previously, in particular the
> platform he tested the previous release on.  But it is not the same
> either, Eli platform is, to my understanding, oldish on some aspects,
> one being the MS-Windows runtime (it is not clear to me what are the
> other differences, if any).

Since the compiler is Clang, it is different from GCC I use.

As for the runtime, I simply don't know.  If it's a platform
distributed by MSYS2, I'm guessing it uses the same runtime as the one
which uses GCC.  Otherwise I don't know.

> > So I recommend checking exactly what this platform is before spending any
> > more time on it and whether it is a valid platform to be supporting.  Is
> > it a MSYS2 build of texi2any (as Eli describes) or a MinGW build, for
> > example?
> 
> It is both, as far as I understand.  Eli or Bruno could correct me, but
> my understanding is that it is the modern way to build GNU/Posix
> programs on native Windows environment.

There's nothing more modern in using Clang instead of GCC.  Both are
"modern" enough.  They are just different compilers, both targeting
the same native Windows environment.

I suggest to try to find someone who'll support the Clang-compiled
Texinfo on MS-Windows.  Perhaps ask on the MinGW64/MSYS2 forum.

> The 2 MSYS2 mingw ucrt clang platforms do not have a shared libperl,
> therefore it is not possible to build XS not ctexi2any.  But the tests
> pass on these platforms.

The shared libperl DLL is part of the Perl installation.  If that DLL
doesn't support Clang, then indeed one cannot build XS extensions with
Clang.  Searching the Internet indeed indicates that native Windows
ports of Perl do not yet support Clang-compiled XS extensions.  That
might be a good reason to consider not supporting Clang on Windows in
Texinfo, at least with XS, until MS-Windows Perl provides Clang
support.

Reply via email to