On Thu, Oct 08, 2026 at 07:16:06PM +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote: > > Is there a locale, and what could be its name, that is always installed > > on _WIN32 systems, such that we can switch to that locale from the C > > locale? > > "Installed" in what sense? what does the test suite need from a > locale?
To switch from the C locale to any other locale. Afterwards, this locale is not used at all, it is only used to switch away from the C locale. > > (On POSIX, we try "en_US.UTF-8", "en_US" and 'locale -a' command > > output). > > You can use "English_United_States" or its short alias "ENU" where > you use en_US on Posix systems. But how will that let you test > translation, when the original is already in US English? See above, to switch first from C locale to another locale. Afterwards, LANGUAGE is used to set the name to the documentlanguage, and the POSIX like language names (from @documentlanguage in the Texinfo code) can be used to find the translations for the output document string from a place where those specific translations (for the texinfo_document domain). I actually hope that there is no automatic mapping in gettext to "French_France" or similar, as the file won't be found, but I do not think so, as it would be an issue for all the POSIX programs ported to Windows error messages, not only Texinfo output document strings. We also have a regular use of locales for error messages, with the texinfo domain, but this is a different, simpler issue. > I think you can also use "French_France", at least for translation to > French. If that locale is not available (I think this should be very > rare, if it at all happens, but Bruno will correct me if I'm wrong), > then translation to French should be skipped anyway. We could also try that. I'll try "English_United_States" and "French_France" and we can wait for reports. -- Pat
