I put equal weight on TRUE and DISMISS. (Sorry, this email is more of
an argument than a vote.)

It may be TRUE by  R. Lee's argument about limits. (Sorry if I got
TRUE/FALSE mixed up there.) If not, it should be DISMISS.

First of all, I think this business of judges not legally being able
to judge it is beside the point. If it's an issue, we should
filibuster the CFJ with recusals, moots and/or motions of
reconsideration until we're able to fix the rules so that the judge
can do eir job properly.

At that point, what are we to make of the SHALL NOT that used to be in
R2125? Having been deleted, it will no longer put the judge at risk of
breaking the rules. But I think it will still mean something: after
all, a case should be judged "based on the facts and legal situation
at the time the inquiry case was initiated".

I think common sense tells us that this clause exists to stop such
interpretations from being made. (Especially in the context of the
proposal that added it; see my recent email 'History of "The rules
SHALL NOT be interpreted..."'.) It is only appropriate, then, that we
avoid making such an interpretation. So, if the "correct" answer would
otherwise be FALSE, I think this falls under "otherwise not able to be
answered with another valid judgement", which is one of the reasons to
judge something DISMISS. (Not "not able" in the sense of CANNOT; it's
just that we're not able (in the ordinary sense of the words) to judge
it that way while respecting the rules at the time the CFJ was
called.)

Reply via email to