Yes I have come to the same conclusion. My current idea is to try to translate EDG to C on a Linux host and then try to build it. Apparently are many of the .c source files in EDG actually written in C++11 (very confusing)! So an intermediate translation is needed before moving to Plan9.
Den sön 4 okt. 2026 kl 19:32 skrev Steve Simon <[email protected]>: > hi, > > ten or so years ago i spent several months trying to get cfront to a state > where it could be useful. > > i would honestly advise ignoring it and redirecting your effort to EDG, > even if you can get cfront to work the dialect of c++ it implements is so > historic it is of little use. > > just my 2c worth. > > -Steve > > > > On 4 Oct 2026, at 7:31 am, Jens Staal <[email protected]> wrote: > > > Wow I did not know that it had gone open source. I am definitely > interested in it for my APExp project. I am still struggling to get cfront > to work (here I am building on a pre-translated code base so in principle I > could do the same for edg). I will have to look in to it, because it sounds > very interesting. > > Den sön 4 okt. 2026 kl 07:43 skrev <[email protected]>: > >> Never mind. It needs g++ 5.2.0 or clang 3.4 or later to build. I should >> have known that a C++ compiler in C would be too good to be true. >> >> Hmmm. It has a C++ to C back end. That might could be used for >> bootstrapping. In any case, it's likely too big a project. >> >> Sorry for the noise, >> >> Arnold > *9fans <https://9fans.topicbox.com/latest>* / 9fans / see discussions > <https://9fans.topicbox.com/groups/9fans> + participants > <https://9fans.topicbox.com/groups/9fans/members> + delivery options > <https://9fans.topicbox.com/groups/9fans/subscription> Permalink > <https://9fans.topicbox.com/groups/9fans/T1b4d2f5ada3ea237-M19f8731dd846207be3807c98> > ------------------------------------------ 9fans: 9fans Permalink: https://9fans.topicbox.com/groups/9fans/T1b4d2f5ada3ea237-M0406350f19eb4290da296fae Delivery options: https://9fans.topicbox.com/groups/9fans/subscription
