Hello,

Could it be that XFree86 doesn't (yet?) support the "ATI Mobility Radeon
7000" graphic adapter (notebook)?

Background: Trying to install XFree86/2 (for OS/2) version 4.4 on my notebook,
I do a "xfree86 -configure" in order to get the hardware checked automatically.
What happens is just nothing, i.e.: the program neither crashes nor stops
and I have to terminate it the hard way. The log file it should generate
is there, but empty.

My hardware is an IBM Thinkpad R32, and IBM specifies the graphic adapter
as follows:

ATI Mobility Radeon 7000, AGB 4x, 16MB DDR-SDRAM, 66 MHz bus

On the ATI webpage I find the following graphic chip, which might (or might
not??) be the same:

ATI Mobility Radeon 7000 IGP

(note the "IGP" suffix)

A PCI bus scan of my system delivers the following complete output:

http://www.os2warp.be/notebook2/ibm/r32pci.txt

the essence being: Radeon Mobility M6 LY

(i.e.: still another set of suffixes)

Finally the radeon driver docs for XFree86 reports as supported:

Radeon Mobility 7000 IGP

So what I see is:

- there are similar, but still different designations around

- it doesn't seem to work on my system currently

The other (and always quite probable!) thing could be "user error" - but
which?

Greetings and thanks for any help! (Maybe there's a R32 user around with
an XFree86 server of any kind running??)

Cornelis Bockem�hl



_______________________________________________
XFree86 mailing list
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://XFree86.Org/mailman/listinfo/xfree86

Reply via email to