On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 10:08:00 -0500
"Richard Tree" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I jumped into the upgrade with both feet without taking the time to
> really understand what I was doing and now can't seem to get to my Gnome
> desktop.  I am new to Linux and haven't quite got the startup process
> figured out.  My problem is I now boot into a light green low resolution
> screen with what looks to be a rectangular menu bar and a terminal
> screen.  So I now wonder what I did (I accepted the default install
> prompts) and how I can get back to my normal desktop.
> 
>  
> 
> I have an AMD64 machine with an ATI RADEON 9600 graphics card (the
> reason I upgraded to 4.4).

To get back into gnome, create a file in your home directory called .xinitrc (with a 
decimal point in front.)  Put the following single line in it:

exec gnome-session

To get a usable screen, you need to configure the proper driver.  I've sent you a 
working XF86Config-4 for that.

> 
>  
> 
> Anyone know how to get back to my Gnome desktop on startup?
> 
>  
> 
> Thanks,
> 
> Richard
> 
> 


-- 
Guy Rouillier
_______________________________________________
XFree86 mailing list
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://XFree86.Org/mailman/listinfo/xfree86

Reply via email to