I installed RH8 on a box using a VIA EPIA-M Mini-ITX Mainboard. When I booted the system I got an error message to the effect that the board was newer than the version of XFree86 in the Red Hat 8.0 distribution.
Next I went to the XFree86.org site got the newest version (4.3.0), installed it and ran xf86config. Now, I get a proper-looking gray background and some text rendered on a broken looking terminal window, while the little wristwatch twiddle never goes away and the console doesn't accept input. In other, I think that XFree86 is running OK but that I have some window manager issue.
Also, if I type startx in the alternate shell I get the following:
Fatal server error: Server is already active for display 0 If this server is no longer running, remove /tmp/.X0-lock and start again
When reporting a problem related to a server crash, please send the full server output, not just the last messages. Please report problems to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server Xlib: Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key giving up xinit: unable to connect to X server xinit: No such process (errno 3): Server error.
ls -l /tmp/.X0-lock shows that the lock file was last written at about boot time as expected.
Does anyone have advice?
Joe
_______________________________________________ XFree86 mailing list [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://XFree86.Org/mailman/listinfo/xfree86

