Actually I did read it. Very good stuff. There is quite a lot there to digest. - I know my kernel doesn't need the DRM patch
Depends on the kernel version, dunno.
- I know you have newer modules and I'm not there yet
?
- You did say you didn't do DRM development
Correct
- Your other page notes DRI needs DRM which needs sisfb, so I clearly need DRM if I ever want to attempt to get DRI working.
Correct
- I saw the notes re sis DRI and Mesa4 and users needing to back off to Mesa3.
Correct
- It looks like your newer drivers will give higher resolutions on my config
Dunno. Depends on what you were using previously.
I've been somewhat sheltered from looking too closely at X and video on linux in the past. I'm less clear on whether DRM has any use without DRI (although I recall you said something
No.
about higher resolutions).
Higher resolutions need more RAM, so you need to increase the portion of video RAM the X driver may use (MaxXFBMem, "mem" with sisfb)
> If not and I decide I can wait to try
and get DRI going, then I assume I could just omit loading the drm module and the error would go away.
You could also remove
load "dri"
from the modules section. Spares you further hassle.
BTW: The error about the "sis" kernel module can be ignored (unless you want DRI to work, of course).
The higher resolutions are more important to me than DRI. My main concern is that I've missed something and upgrading the drivers won't correct it.
If you skip the loading of the dri module, sisfb won't be loaded, and unless you have a MaxXFBMem setting, X will use all the video RAM.
Thomas
-- Thomas Winischhofer Vienna/Austria thomas AT winischhofer DOT net http://www.winischhofer.net/ twini AT xfree86 DOT org
_______________________________________________ XFree86 mailing list [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://XFree86.Org/mailman/listinfo/xfree86

