Greetings group,
 
   I have been fighting with my laptop trying to get X 4.3.0 working for some time now and I have about given up, I am hoping someone on this group has some insight.
   I had been running Gentoo Linux on my laptop for a while, things were good until I decided to try to upgrade X 4.2.x to 4.3 once I did that X stopped working. I used to have to use the Mach64 driver (ati) with my laptop even though the chip is a Rage 128 mobility chip. In any event, it worked with 4.2, no longer with 4.3. I even tried going BACK to 4.2 which decided to refuse to work as well.
   I recently installed Redhat 9 thinking perhaps the installer/autoconfigurator would catch something I missed and get it working, that did not work.
   Included is my XFree86.0.log file, looking through it shows that X correctly detects my video chip AND my display on my laptop, but when it tries to find a usable mode it has a complaint about each and every one. I am not sure what exactly is wrong. As a temporary fix I have it running on the VESA driver, but if possible I would really like to get it working with the "ati" or "r128" driver, as the acceleration is better.
 
Thanks in advance, I appreciate any ideas or help anyone can give me.
 
Laptop specifics:
Compaq Presario 1800t
P3-650
310MB RAM
40 gig hard drive
ATI rage 128 mobility video chip
(currently) redhat 9 (but I would like to go back to Gentoo if I can find a solution for X)
 
If anyone needs any more information I will be happy to do what I can to provide it.
 
-Todd

Attachment: XFree86.0.log
Description: Binary data

Reply via email to