On Fri, 14 Mar 2003, Scott Gilbertson wrote:

> The attached small C program causes my Xfbdev server to crash in CopyGC.
> Usually it's a SIGSEGV, but sometimes its a SIGILL.  When the program
> starts, it shows a blank screen.  Click mouse button 1 and it starts
> animating some circles, and does so until you kill it (control-C or
> whatever).  On my embedded system, it crashes the X server in about 10
> minutes.  Using gdb, I've looked at the source and destination GC, including
> all the function pointers.  Everything looks fine -- no indication of what
> made it crash.
> 
> Running the same program on a desktop PC, it hasn't crashed yet, although I
> haven't tried to run it for all that long.
> 
> I'm wondering:
>  a) Is there any obvious should-not-do code in the attached program?

  Even a malicious app should not be able to crash the server.

>  b) Is high-volume XCreateGC/XCopyGC/XFreeGC (see below) considered normal?

  I'm sure there are other apps that do things like that.  I think
nearly every abuse has been done at one point or another.

>  c) Could the high volume be causing the problem?

  I still think it's likely to be a system memory problem or code generation
problem.
   
>  d) Can anyone else replicate this crash?

   If I can remember I'll leave it running overnight on one of my machines
tonight.


                        Mark.

> 
> My Xfbdev is version 4.3, but the same thing happens on 4.2.0.  I've tried
> compiling it with gcc 3.2.1 and 3.3 (not released yet), and both with and
> without optimization.  The one I'm running at the moment was compiled for
> Intel 486.
> 
> My system is an Arcom SBC-GX1, which uses a National Geode GX1 chip
> (Pentium-compatible).  It has 128 megs of RAM and no swap.  At no time
> during the test does the free RAM drop below 20 megs.  It's obviously
> conceivable that the problem is related to the non-Intel processor, but I
> would have expected the symptoms to change with different optimizer settings
> if that were the case.  I suppose the kernel or video FB driver could also
> be at fault.
> 
> My linux is:
> Linux version 2.4.18-rthal5 ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) (gcc version 3.2.1) #1 Wed
> Dec 18 17:39:47 EST 2002
> 
> History:
> I've been trying to track down an Xfbdev crash when running a gcj-compiled
> (Java) executable using the xlib peers.  I noticed that the C xlib examples
> I found don't do very many XCreateGC, XCopyGC and XFreeGC calls, whereas the
> java library peers create a new GC for every repaint.  The attached C
> program creates a new GC every paint, just like the peers.  Since it crashes
> the server in the same manner as the Java program, it's not strictly a
> problem with the Java compiler or libraries.
> 
> 
> 

_______________________________________________
XFree86 mailing list
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://XFree86.Org/mailman/listinfo/xfree86

Reply via email to