Hello,

On my Compaq Presario 5006US which includes an "Intel Corp. 82810E
DC-133 CGC [Chipset Graphics Controller] (rev 3)" (according to
/proc/pci, I no longer remember what the market-speak name for the
device is.). I have added a ATI Radeon QD into PCI slot 4 and disabled
the primary video card in the BIOS.

Using the 'ati' driver with this device, I have to use the 'noaccel'
option directive or it will lock-up immediately. Otherwise, the board
works fine. I have been told that the identical card works with
acceleration on other systems, but I don't have a second machine to use
as a sandbox for testing this myself. (But I may try and set something
up, if that's the only direction to go.)

Under Windows on the same system, there is no problem using hardware
acceleration with the card in the configuration that the system is in.

How would you suggest I go about debugging this further? Could it be
that the disabled on-board video is a red-herring? Is there a known
issue with Linux support for some of these cards?

I have attached my X configuration and /proc/pci if it will help.

Thanks so much for your help,

Joe Pranevich



# XFree86 4 configuration created by pyxf86config

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "Default Layout"
        Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
        InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
        InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
        InputDevice    "DevInputMice" "AlwaysCore"
EndSection

Section "Files"
# RgbPath is the location of the RGB database.  Note, this is the name of the 
# file minus the extension (like ".txt" or ".db").  There is normally
# no need to change the default.

# Multiple FontPath entries are allowed (they are concatenated together)
# By default, Red Hat 6.0 and later now use a font server independent of
# the X server to render fonts.

        RgbPath      "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
        FontPath     "unix/:7100"
EndSection

Section "Module"
        Load  "dbe"
        Load  "extmod"
        Load  "fbdevhw"
        Load  "glx"
        Load  "record"
        Load  "freetype"
        Load  "type1"
        Load  "dri"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
# Specify which keyboard LEDs can be user-controlled (eg, with xset(1))
#       Option  "Xleds"         "1 2 3"

# To disable the XKEYBOARD extension, uncomment XkbDisable.
#       Option  "XkbDisable"

# To customise the XKB settings to suit your keyboard, modify the
# lines below (which are the defaults).  For example, for a non-U.S.
# keyboard, you will probably want to use:
#       Option  "XkbModel"      "pc102"
# If you have a US Microsoft Natural keyboard, you can use:
#       Option  "XkbModel"      "microsoft"
#
# Then to change the language, change the Layout setting.
# For example, a german layout can be obtained with:
#       Option  "XkbLayout"     "de"
# or:
#       Option  "XkbLayout"     "de"
#       Option  "XkbVariant"    "nodeadkeys"
#
# If you'd like to switch the positions of your capslock and
# control keys, use:
#       Option  "XkbOptions"    "ctrl:swapcaps"
# Or if you just want both to be control, use:
#       Option  "XkbOptions"    "ctrl:nocaps"
#
        Identifier  "Keyboard0"
        Driver      "keyboard"
        Option      "XkbRules" "xfree86"
        Option      "XkbModel" "pc105"
        Option      "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Mouse0"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option      "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/psaux"
        Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
        Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
# If the normal CorePointer mouse is not a USB mouse then
# this input device can be used in AlwaysCore mode to let you
# also use USB mice at the same time.
        Identifier  "DevInputMice"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option      "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
        Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
        Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "Monitor0"
        VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
        ModelName    "A90f"
        DisplaySize  360        270
        HorizSync    30.0 - 86.0
        VertRefresh  50.0 - 150.0
        Option      "dpms"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Videocard0"
        Driver      "radeon"
        VendorName  "Videocard vendor"
        BoardName   "ATI Radeon (generic)"
        VideoRam    16384
        Option      "noaccel"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Screen0"
        Device     "Videocard0"
        Monitor    "Monitor0"
        DefaultDepth     24
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth     24
                Modes    "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
        EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "DRI"
        Group        0
        Mode         0666
EndSection

PCI devices found:
  Bus  0, device   0, function  0:
    Host bridge: Intel Corp. 82810E DC-133 GMCH [Graphics Memory Controller Hub] (rev 
3).
  Bus  0, device   1, function  0:
    VGA compatible controller: Intel Corp. 82810E DC-133 CGC [Chipset Graphics 
Controller] (rev 3).
      IRQ 3.
      Prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0x44000000 [0x47ffffff].
      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0x40300000 [0x4037ffff].
  Bus  0, device  30, function  0:
    PCI bridge: Intel Corp. 82801AA PCI Bridge (rev 2).
      Master Capable.  No bursts.  Min Gnt=14.
  Bus  0, device  31, function  0:
    ISA bridge: Intel Corp. 82801AA ISA Bridge (LPC) (rev 2).
  Bus  0, device  31, function  1:
    IDE interface: Intel Corp. 82801AA IDE (rev 2).
      I/O at 0x2020 [0x202f].
  Bus  0, device  31, function  2:
    USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82801AA USB (rev 2).
      IRQ 11.
      I/O at 0xeec0 [0xeedf].
  Bus  0, device  31, function  3:
    SMBus: Intel Corp. 82801AA SMBus (rev 2).
      IRQ 5.
      I/O at 0xeee0 [0xeeef].
  Bus  1, device   5, function  0:
    Multimedia audio controller: ESS Technology ES1988 Allegro-1 (rev 18).
      IRQ 5.
      Master Capable.  Latency=64.  Min Gnt=2.Max Lat=24.
      I/O at 0x1000 [0x10ff].
  Bus  1, device   9, function  0:
    Ethernet controller: Intel Corp. 82557/8/9 [Ethernet Pro 100] (rev 8).
      IRQ 5.
      Master Capable.  Latency=66.  Min Gnt=8.Max Lat=56.
      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0x40200000 [0x40200fff].
      I/O at 0x1800 [0x183f].
      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0x40000000 [0x400fffff].
  Bus  1, device  10, function  0:
    Modem: PCTel Inc HSP MicroModem 56 (rev 2).
      IRQ 11.
      I/O at 0x1840 [0x187f].
  Bus  1, device  11, function  0:
    VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon QD (rev 0).
      IRQ 11.
      Master Capable.  Latency=66.  Min Gnt=8.
      Prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0x48000000 [0x4fffffff].
      I/O at 0x1400 [0x14ff].
      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0x40100000 [0x4017ffff].

Reply via email to