What do you mean "when I try to get into..."?  As root it's sort of
impossible that you couldn't do 'less /etc/X11/XF86Config' or 'vi
/etc/X11...'.  You may be dealing with the limitation that many Xservers
are configured to reject connections from the root user.  If you need to
run an X app as root, try 'export XAUTHORITY=/home/<user
name>/.Xauthority' first, for example.  The default configuration is that
way for security reasons (but remember that it doesn't stop you from using
any command line utilites from an X terminal as root--just programs that
access X resources).

In order to help you set up X correctly we need to see your XF86Config
and XF86free.0.log files in plain text format, as well as know what
graphics card you are using.

Jesse

On Saturday 08 March 2003 23:51, Wilkinson wrote:
> Why do I get the error message "Permission denied" when I try to get into
> /etc/X11/XF86Config  and  /var/log/XFree86.0.log ? I tried as both a user
> and root in virtual.
>
> Another problem is that I cannot run XWindows because of the monitor
> configuration, without reinstalling the entire o/s, so I need to change
> that. Can someone help with that, too? Thanks.
>
> James Wilkinson
> Anchorage, AK


_______________________________________________
XFree86 mailing list
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://XFree86.Org/mailman/listinfo/xfree86

Reply via email to