At least it seems to be a bug. Take note that I've seen this happening
with recent releases of XFree86 for a few months, at least. I've been
downloading new releases of Knoppix and booting them on this machine for
a few months. Each time I've seen this and just thought it was something
peculiar about the way Knoppix configured XFree86.

What I have here is a Gateway Solo 9300, with a 15.7 inch (that's right,
15.7, that's not a typo), 1280x1024 LCD screen, and an ATI Rage
Mobility-P video card, with 8MB of video memory, I believe. 

This card was working great with X 4.2.1 that was installed with
Mandrake 9.0. I never had a problem with it. Since I started upgrading
packages to Cooker versions, it has wigged out on me. I'm unable to take
a screenshot of this effect. Apparently the window manager sees the
screen just fine, it's just what I'm seeing that's gone haywire. 

Here's what I'm seeing: About one quarter from the top of the screen
there is a horizontal line, below which everything gets stretched by
about 30 pixels downward. Even the mouse cursor gets stretched when it
crosses that area. Since the screen is being stretched, the actual
bottom of the screen image is pushed off the bottom of the physical
screen, so I can't see any toolbars down there. 

Along the right side of the screen, about 90 pixels away from the edge,
there is a vertical swath about 30 pixels wide that is just "screwed up"
like it's being seen through a filter or something. The effect is most
marked around the edges of things, and on fonts. 

I'm not including a config file because it is pretty obviously not a
configuration problem. I've tried XFdrake and xf86cfg -text to
autocreate the file, and when that failed I tried all the different
available options, even "LCDsync" which wasn't in the man page but was
suggested on [EMAIL PROTECTED] by Marc la France. Nothing has made any
difference at all, except Option "SWcursor". Without that option, I
can't click on anything without hovering over an invisible point about
200 pixels below the object I'm trying to click on. Also without that
option, the mouse cursor will hit the bottom of that stretched area and
stop dead, like it thinks it's at the top of the screen. 

The only way I've been able to get this card to work is by using the
VESA driver, which of course sucks because it's really slow. 

If there is any specific debugging command or debugging program I can
download and run to provide more useful information, I will happily do
so. This is really frustrating and I'd really like to see this fix get
into XFree86 before the Mandrake 9.1 final release. 

I'm running XFree86 version 4.2.99.902 (4.3.0 RC 2) and all this happens
while using the ati driver. 

Thanks,
Kris F.

redbear at redbearnet dot com


_______________________________________________
XFree86 mailing list
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://XFree86.Org/mailman/listinfo/xfree86

Reply via email to