Just to clarify, I have never had any problem taking photographs in the BL of non-exhibition items. For example the statues, tapestries and paintings in the Foyer and main public spaces, the building itself and artefacts on long term display (such as the Perkins D cylinder press). Objects such as the philatelic collections on public display next to the cafe have specific signs asking you to not take photographs (due to light sensitivity and because some of the artefacts are not out of copyright).
Examples: * http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:British_Library_Philatelic_Collection_exhibition.jpg * http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:British_Library_book_transport.jpg * http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:British_Library_artworks_on_display * http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Sculptures_in_the_British_Library Of course, if I were challenged I would follow the advice given, though as with any institution individual security guards or other staff can make mistakes and might not be all that clear as to how to interpret the official policy. Cheers, Fae -- http://enwp.org/user_talk:fae Guide to email tags: http://j.mp/faetags _______________________________________________ Wikimedia UK mailing list [email protected] http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l WMUK: http://uk.wikimedia.org
