Hi all,

Thanks for discussing this topic. It is clear the publication of this
information is important to some community members. The Elections Committee
and Board Selection Task Force approved publishing a complete list of which
affiliate organizations voted in a table
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_elections/2022/Affiliate_Organization_Participation>
.

Best,


Jackie

On Sat, Jul 23, 2022 at 11:45 AM Alessandro Marchetti via Wikimedia-l <
[email protected]> wrote:

> Of course it's like that Ilario,sometimes some usergroups are
> "userpersons". and as person involved in the previous ASBS election I
> politely hinted that aspect as much as possible in the past. Also,
> sometimes even some chapters are mostly few key persons when relationship
> with WMF is involved, but it's easier to start from UGs to handle the issue.
>
> i had some general idea of what you are supposed to facilitate if you want
> real transparency in these processes and I felt that was not fully there.
> Instead of building on previous know-how, the process was restarting again
> and that do not get great functionality in WMF, usually. It's like knowing
> for sure that these sort of mails would have happened at the end.
>
> I had no time to look carefully, but that was kinda of a feeling and as a
> result, despite being a first contact and having a decent know-how, I
> decided not to engage the affiliate in the process. The affiliate I
> represent is small and fragmented and lacks a strong identity yet, I know
> for sure that getting to a meaningful ranking would have taken a lot of
> effort and in May and June I simply had no time. Or it would have resulted
> in me pushing my ideas in a way or another, and that was not correct. Like,
> many people are ns-0 users and don't now names, so they trust your side of
> the story.
>
> So I decided to skip it. I was asked a contact for the first step and
> replied by mail that in May I had no time to even start a thread on meta
> about deciding whom to select (it would have been me, probably, but I did
> not feel it was correct).
>
> my choice was either focusing properly as a UG on the WIkisummit
> application or that, and I did at least properly the first one. I could
> have taken part in the process probably representing 90% myself, nobody
> would have noticed.
>
> Alessandro
>
> Il sabato 23 luglio 2022 17:59:01 CEST, Ilario Valdelli <
> [email protected]> ha scritto:
>
>
> I think that there is a very sensible point here.
>
> Sometimes behind some usergroups there is not a specific community but
> only few people and sometimes some usergroups are "userpersons".
>
> Being more transparent helps to demonstrate that the whole process has
> been conducted appropriately but also to have an overview that affiliates
> have voted really on what their community proposed.
>
> Kind regards
>
> On Sat, Jul 23, 2022 at 3:28 AM Gnangarra <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> I am disturbed to see some community members blithely dismissing the need
> to protect the well-being of potentially vulnerable community members,
>
>
> This is not some functionary volunteer role, nor is it a scholarship to
> attend some event. The affiliate and the members of the Board of Trustees
> are both very public facing aspects, when a person is on the Board of
> Trustees their identity is public
> https://wikimediafoundation.org/role/board/ .  It is obvious that a
> truly  vulnerable person would not even put themselves into a BOT
> position.  It's important for members of the community to know who their
> affiliate chose to represent them because it's a reflection of that
> community.  I know some affiliates actually didnt consult their communities
> for input into the decision process before the fact so knowing after the
> fact is at least pretending to be transparent in the voting.
>
>
>
> On Sat, 23 Jul 2022 at 06:01, Benjamin Lees <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> I don't think there's anything blithe in pointing out that an
> after-the-fact promise of secrecy serves no one.  Affiliates had to decide
> whether to vote without knowing whether the list would be published (but
> hopefully realizing that the username of their voter would be published,
> although I'm not sure if this was made clear).  The main effect of post-hoc
> secrecy here would be to sow confusion and set up unrealistic expectations
> about future votes; in the last affiliate-selected board seat process, not
> only was the list of voting affiliates published, but *their individual
> votes were as well*: <
> https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Asbs_presentation_matches_with_stv_py_results.pdf>,
> and for the reasons Lodewijk describes, we might well wish to return to
> such full transparency in the future.
>
> If a decision either way had been made and communicated beforehand,
> affiliate voters could have made an informed decision, but as with most of
> the rules for this election, it was announced in the middle of the
> election, rather than in the many months before it.  In any event, I agree
> with SJ that this is a decision to be made by the elections committee, not
> WMF staff.
>
>
> On Fri, Jul 22, 2022 at 4:45 PM Robert Fernandez <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> I am disturbed to see some community members blithely dismissing the need
> to protect the well-being of potentially vulnerable community members,
> especially in a community that usually prides itself on the ability to
> participate anonymously.
>
> That said, perhaps we could publish the names of participating affiliates
> who affirm the wish to be named publicly.
> _______________________________________________
> Wikimedia-l mailing list -- [email protected], guidelines
> at: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines and
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia-l
> Public archives at
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/hyperkitty/list/[email protected]/message/LNXPN2Z5TY35SJOV6MOLB7ASOQL57GGF/
> To unsubscribe send an email to [email protected]
>
> _______________________________________________
> Wikimedia-l mailing list -- [email protected], guidelines
> at: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines and
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia-l
> Public archives at
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/hyperkitty/list/[email protected]/message/DNDMKF4NKNDFEKC5FFHXWB24FISK4NCA/
> To unsubscribe send an email to [email protected]
>
>
>
> --
> GN.
>
> _______________________________________________
> Wikimedia-l mailing list -- [email protected], guidelines
> at: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines and
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia-l
> Public archives at
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/hyperkitty/list/[email protected]/message/27TMCRTG33NLTXSSN4P5JZFVX7OEEIFS/
> To unsubscribe send an email to [email protected]
>
>
>
> --
> Ilario Valdelli
> Wikimedia CH
> Verein zur Förderung Freien Wissens
> Association pour l’avancement des connaissances libre
> Associazione per il sostegno alla conoscenza libera
> Switzerland - 8008 Zürich
> Wikipedia: Ilario <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Ilario>
> Skype: valdelli
> Tel: +41764821371
> http://www.wikimedia.ch
> _______________________________________________
> Wikimedia-l mailing list -- [email protected], guidelines
> at: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines and
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia-l
> Public archives at
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/hyperkitty/list/[email protected]/message/PQFYW2AOEK2UZFTZJFAIOBY43JVVOZT4/
>
> To unsubscribe send an email to [email protected]
> _______________________________________________
> Wikimedia-l mailing list -- [email protected], guidelines
> at: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines and
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia-l
> Public archives at
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/hyperkitty/list/[email protected]/message/RRM6MMRSOECNWA7SHLMOQJEAPS6BXV5X/
> To unsubscribe send an email to [email protected]
_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list -- [email protected], guidelines at: 
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines and 
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia-l
Public archives at 
https://lists.wikimedia.org/hyperkitty/list/[email protected]/message/B624OSZGZKD3ETPKLPMEWHI65EZY4WFP/
To unsubscribe send an email to [email protected]

Reply via email to