We should have technical partners in multiple other jurisdictions that could help in a crisis, and load bearing infrastructure in at least one of them, and a plan for how and when to switch. (The walkthrough of what would be needed for a smooth transfer send most important, and useful for general reliability planning)
We should also fully support and realize Wikimedia-on-ipfs, similar to what the internet archive had been doing. (Santhosh has some excellent ideas there) ππππ On Wed., Sep. 30, 2020, 5:35 a.m. Dan Garry (Deskana), <[email protected]> wrote: > On Wed, 30 Sep 2020 at 09:49, Erik Moeller <[email protected]> wrote: > > > I hope that some preliminary contingency plans exist or are being > > developed, and I'm sure that the movement-wide debate will widen if > > the US continues its downward slide into authoritarianism. > > > > I agree with Erik. Even under the Obama administration, there were threats > to the existence of the movement, such as SOPA [1] which lead to a blackout > [2]. One can extrapolate from current events that these threats could well > get larger and more frequent, rather than smaller and less frequent, should > someone in the US Government decide to focus their attention on attacking > Wikipedia and free knowledge. It would be prudent to create a contingency > plan which includes an exploration of other options for a location of > operation for the Wikimedia Foundation and/or its servers, with their > advantages and disadvantages. I personally wouldn't necessarily advocate > for making the plan public; that would be ideal, but I'd be comforted > merely to know it exists. > > On Tue, 29 Sep 2020 at 23:36, Joseph Seddon <[email protected]> > wrote: > > > I believe options are going to be explored for sustainability but right > now > > legally speaking the US is the best jurisdiction for hosting us now and > the > > foreseeable future. > > > > I agree with this too. For now, the United States remains the best place > for the organisation to operate out of, and a move should not be actively > considered. > > Dan > > [1]: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stop_Online_Piracy_Act > [2]: > > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protests_against_SOPA_and_PIPA#Wikimedia_community > _______________________________________________ > Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at: > https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines and > https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia-l > New messages to: [email protected] > Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, > <mailto:[email protected]?subject=unsubscribe> > _______________________________________________ Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines and https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia-l New messages to: [email protected] Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:[email protected]?subject=unsubscribe>
