Institutional memory and Institutional knowledge are two subtle and unique
characteristics, sharing knowledge is what we are supposed to be good at
yet internally its our biggest weakness.  The WMF would do well to have a
"historian" on staff to document and maintain our movements' history.
Internally it is the responsibility of the human resources department to
ensure that the knowledge required and collected in any position is
captured and then transferred appropriately as people and positions change.

One issue we have is that a very significant amount of our Institution
knowledge is held by volunteers that knowledge is held closely as it builds
their reputation while creating a power base that gives them leverage for
special opportunities.  Its difficult to get volunteers to willingly hand
over knowledge that makes them special and able to stand out. Part of that
is ensuring that at least WMF staff are able to connect directly with a
wider selection of the community at events, and why its so important that
conduits of knowledge are broadly dispersed beyond just these gatekeepers.



On Wed, 26 Aug 2020 at 09:11, Michael Snow <[email protected]> wrote:

> On 8/25/2020 4:34 PM, Pete Forsyth wrote:
> > I've thought about institutional memory quite a lot since I stopped
> working
> > at WMF in 2011. A few points I think are worth considering:
> >
> >     5. The Wikimedia Foundation has not historically done very much in
> terms
> >     of thorough encyclopedic documentation of important events in its
> history.
> >     There have been exceptions, and I believe that where it has been
> done and
> >     done well, much good has come of it. The best example of this, in my
> >     opinion, is the Assessment of Belfer Center Wikipedian in Residence
> >     program
> >     <
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Assessment_of_Belfer_Center_Wikipedian_in_Residence_program
> >.
> >     This was initiated by then-Executive Director Sue Gardner and her
> deputy
> >     Erik Möller, who participated actively in it. Specific programmatic
> >     improvements in the Grants department were a direct outcome.
> >
> >     11. In closing, I'd like to make a point about the skillset the WMF
> >     board has hired. I want to be really explicit -- I like and admire
> the
> >     WMF's Executive Director/CEO; she is highly skilled, and a kind
> person. But
> >     I am continually surprised that there has been little acknowledgment
> of
> >     what the board did by hiring her, and the direction the WMF has
> >     (unsurprisingly) taken since her hire. She was previously the WMF's
> >     Communications Director, and her earlier career was largely in
> >     communications. I would urge others to consider that it is not
> surprising,
> >     if an organization is guided by an executive with a Communications
> >     background, that it would not embrace an encyclopedic approach to
> its own
> >     self-knowledge.
>
> I want to react to a couple of Pete's points here. First, as to the
> closing point, I think it overrates the effect of the individual
> Executive Director/CEO on what are, after all, institutional and
> collective processes. While I recognize the importance of the role in
> heading the organization, that person may try to shape the overall
> culture, but they are not really the source of it. Just consider what
> transpired between the two Executive Directors mentioned above; while
> that was a difficult time and the organizational culture suffered
> significantly, I would argue that the underlying culture at the
> community/staff/"grassroots" level is what forced the organization to
> reconsider and change directions. Organizational culture determines how
> institutional memory is transmitted, and simultaneously that memory
> becomes part of the culture and shapes it.
>
> Pete also offers much good advice about maintaining institutional
> knowledge, but I think it's a mistaken dichotomy to view two different
> modes of presenting information ("encyclopedic" and "communications") as
> if they are conflicting philosophies rather than merely separate
> skillsets. People can have both, or value both even when their personal
> skills are stronger in one or the other. To the extent the Wikimedia
> Foundation struggles to have an encyclopedic approach to institutional
> memory, frankly that problem is nearly universal among organizations.
> It's less the background of a particular leader than the general
> emphasis on "getting things done" over documenting what was done, how,
> and why.
>
> Going back to the earlier point, it's good to recognize Sue and Erik's
> leadership in an assessment that can serve as a positive model. With
> respect to encouraging a more "encyclopedic" approach, I think it's
> worth observing that from a conventional organizational leadership
> perspective, Erik was a pretty nontraditional choice for the deputy role
> (and even a sometimes controversial figure within the community).
> Nevertheless, he and Sue made an excellent pairing in their roles, and
> he was an important part of ensuring that the organization understood
> and valued the community, its culture, and the "encyclopedic" approach.
> I believe this illustrates why it's important for the Wikimedia
> Foundation to continue valuing experience in the community for all of
> its hiring, so that the staff can maintain a culture that stays in sync
> with the movement. It's less about one or two specific leadership
> positions, and more that every Wikimedia ED/CEO needs to surround
> themselves with a variety of people who bring different pieces of
> institutional memory with them.
>
> --Michael Snow
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at:
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines and
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia-l
> New messages to: [email protected]
> Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l,
> <mailto:[email protected]?subject=unsubscribe>
>


-- 
GN.

*Power of Diverse Collaboration*
*Sharing knowledge brings people together*
Wikimania Bangkok 2021
August
hosted by ESEAP

Wikimania: https://wikimania.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Gnangarra
Noongarpedia: https://incubator.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wp/nys/Main_Page
My print shop: https://www.redbubble.com/people/Gnangarra/shop?asc=u
_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at: 
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines and 
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia-l
New messages to: [email protected]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, 
<mailto:[email protected]?subject=unsubscribe>

Reply via email to