Agree. Just under two years ago, I thought Katherine would make an excellent ED. And she has not disappointed.
James On Thu, Jun 1, 2017 at 2:45 AM, Dariusz Jemielniak <[email protected]> wrote: > with the right leader, things suddenly start to click just right :) > > dj > > On Thu, Jun 1, 2017 at 10:08 AM, Tanweer Morshed <[email protected]> > wrote: > > > Thank you Micru for bringing the talk of Katherine in the mailing list, I > > probably wouldn't have watched it if you didn't post it here. > > > > I'd like to thank Katherine for the charismatic presentation at > University > > of Melbourne, depicting the essence of the Wikimedia movement in the > > perspective of our times. We value your leadership in the movement and > your > > effort to highlight the goodness of millions of Wikimedians across the > > world. This isn't very common that we acknowledge the positivity and > > contribution of people around us, which we should do more to encourage > and > > assure them that they are doing great, thus uplifting the energy within > > them. Thank you Katherine! > > > > Regards, > > Tanweer > > > > > > On Thu, Jun 1, 2017 at 10:00 AM, David Cuenca Tudela <[email protected]> > > wrote: > > > > > Hello everybody, > > > > > > Normally in our community we used to send angry emails when we were not > > > happy with how things are going, and we were not sending enough emails > of > > > satisfaction and encouragement. I don't know who started it, but the > > "what > > > is making you happy this week" series might be one of the best social > > > achievements our movement has reached. > > > > > > To continue on that line I would like to tell you what made me happy > this > > > week, but about Katherine Maher, our current leader. In particular > about > > > this video: > > > https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8BuyKmjy7Rw > > > > > > If you haven't watched it, do it now and get to know Katherine. I think > > we > > > as a community don't deserve a leader like her, at least not yet. The > > > reason is because she's way more advanced than us at seeing how the > > world > > > is going and what is there to be done about it. > > > > > > We can have as many Strategy Talks as we want, but as long as we as a > > > community are not ready to rally to put ourselves behind Katherine and > > > fully support her with her mission, it will be all for nothing. > > > > > > The way I perceive Katherine is a charismatic leader full of light, but > > her > > > light is not reaching us fully because we are not giving her enough > power > > > yet. I want to invite all of you as individuals to reflect upon this > and > > > ask yourself if you are as ready as me to support Katherine for the > > > personal benefit and the whole movement benefit. > > > > > > > > > I have never done this before but allow me some tolerance to speak on > > > behalf of the community. Not because I have been elected but because I > > love > > > it so much and I want the best for it. So if I were to speak on behalf > of > > > the community I would tell this to Katherine: stop having so much > > patience > > > with us. > > > > > > There was a time when patience was good and necessary, but not anymore. > > Set > > > yourself free and do as you please, because I see no possible harm in > > your > > > intentions. Don't be afraid about going too fast. The community needs > > > challenges to grow and if you don't bring them forward, we will not > grow > > > enough to face the world of tomorrow, or today, or yesterday. > > > > > > We are behind in our progress because of you, Katherine. We need that > you > > > bring to the table ALL what you can do, but you need to do it wisely, > and > > > you lack a bit of that too. > > > So my advice is to challenge us, but ask first wise people in the > > movement > > > first. There are a few of them, but they do exist: Andrea Zanni, Asaf > > > Bartov, even Délphine (never meet her properly) are clear examples of > > wise > > > people. Over time and with practice you will be able to find more, and > in > > > the end you will be wise enough to enlighten us all. > > > > > > In my more than 10 years in the movement and my particular involved in > > > leadership, I could have never imagined that we would be so lucky to > > find a > > > leader like Katherine. When by chance she was here in Belgium, I live > in > > > Leuven, I asked to meet her. Of course it was not possible, but I use > the > > > opportunity to tell her what I wanted to in that meeting: Katherine, I > > love > > > you, not in a romantic way, but the way you are as a person, don't be > > > afraid if others cannot see you for who you are, you are just great the > > way > > > you are. > > > > > > In a past Conference I brought some gifts to people I cared about, but > I > > am > > > lucky that I won't be attending this Wikimania (only the Wikidata > > > conference this year). I feel lucky because I will not have to bring a > > gift > > > for Katherine, the only person who was deserved my admiration this > year, > > > and it would be too hard to pick an appropriate gift for her... The > Moon? > > > The stars? They are hard to transport, anyway. > > > > > > Please forgive me for my ramblings. I just think that Katherine is > great > > > and that she deserves more emails like this one. > > > > > > Cheers, > > > Micru > > > _______________________________________________ > > > Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at: https://meta.wikimedia.org/ > > > wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines and https://meta.wikimedia.org/ > > > wiki/Wikimedia-l > > > New messages to: [email protected] > > > Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, > > > <mailto:[email protected]?subject=unsubscribe> > > _______________________________________________ > > Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at: https://meta.wikimedia.org/ > > wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines and https://meta.wikimedia.org/ > > wiki/Wikimedia-l > > New messages to: [email protected] > > Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, > > <mailto:[email protected]?subject=unsubscribe> > > > > > -- > > __________________________ > prof. dr hab. Dariusz Jemielniak > kierownik katedry Zarządzania Międzynarodowego > i grupy badawczej NeRDS > Akademia Leona Koźmińskiego > http://nerds.kozminski.edu.pl > > Wyszła pierwsza na świecie etnografia Wikipedii "Common Knowledge? An > Ethnography of Wikipedia" (2014, Stanford University Press) mojego > autorstwa (Dorothy Lee Award 2015, Nagroda Naukowa Prezesa PAN 2016) > http://www.sup.org/book.cgi?id=24010 > > Recenzje > Forbes: http://www.forbes.com/fdc/welcome_mjx.shtml > Pacific Standard: > http://www.psmag.com/navigation/books-and-culture/killed-wikipedia-93777/ > Motherboard: http://motherboard.vice.com/read/an-ethnography-of-wikipedia > The Wikipedian: > http://thewikipedian.net/2014/10/10/dariusz-jemielniak-common-knowledge > _______________________________________________ > Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wik > i/Mailing_lists/Guidelines and https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia-l > New messages to: [email protected] > Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, > <mailto:[email protected]?subject=unsubscribe> > -- James Heilman MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian The Wikipedia Open Textbook of Medicine _______________________________________________ Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines and https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia-l New messages to: [email protected] Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:[email protected]?subject=unsubscribe>
