This is going nowhere, one of the big issues is that there is a lack of
understanding on how WikiData works and whats it purpose is.


Wikimedia Australia solution is invest community money into bringing
someone who has contributed to Wikidata to Australia to do a series of
talks and workshops around the country over a three week period.


Perhaps Wikidata community could improve the wider Wikimedian communities
understanding by doing the same on a larger scale get out to where the
contributors are, answer question explain how it works and do workshops
aimed directly at existing Wikiproject contributors. obviously its a lot
simpler and cheaper in places like Europe/US where there are already active
contributors who have the knowledge

On 21 December 2015 at 08:00, Fabian Flöck <[email protected]> wrote:

> Not a contribution to the discussion at large, but I had the same problem
> Andreas is mentioning a couple of days ago when doing some of my first WD
> edits and adding a reference. I had no idea what to chose in that property
> field and it only showed me “instance of” and “subclass of” as a cold
> start. (I guess your average new editor might even wonder why to enter a
> property at all there - they would probably expect a single field to enter
> the source.)  So I just went to some other items and checked how it was
> done there, which is not optimal. A pre-selection of relevant properties
> (maybe most used in other items?) in the type-ahead would be nice. And
> maybe a small explanation of what the property for references means
> (something like “specifies type of reference” ?). I was also unsure if and
> when to ever use “imported from” in that field (i.e., if I got the fact
> from a Wikipedia page, but no primary source exists) or if that was
> reserved for machine imports.
>
> Fabian
>
>
> > Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2015 15:59:58 +0000
> > From: Andreas Kolbe <[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>>
> > To: Wikimedia Mailing List <[email protected] <mailto:
> [email protected]>>
> > Subject: Re: [Wikimedia-l] Quality issues
> >>
> > Just try it, Lydia. Click "add" in subsidiaries in
> > https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q37156 <
> https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q37156> -- enter a company name, and then
> > click "add reference". When I do that, the text field contains a
> greyed-out
> > "property", and the drop-down shows the unhelpful items I mentioned
> above.
> >
> > And it would be good if the help text actually *asked* people to cite a
> > reference.
> _______________________________________________
> Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at:
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines
> New messages to: [email protected]
> Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l,
> <mailto:[email protected]?subject=unsubscribe>
>



-- 
GN.
President Wikimedia Australia
WMAU: http://www.wikimedia.org.au/wiki/User:Gnangarra
Photo Gallery: http://gnangarra.redbubble.com
_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at: 
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines
New messages to: [email protected]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, 
<mailto:[email protected]?subject=unsubscribe>

Reply via email to