Thanks for that link Anthony - can't wait for the transcript to be added (I tried grabbing it off streamtext but couldn't). Stuart Ray lists several things we know we should work on but don't: article ownership, deletions of primary sources, only zero or negative feedback for valuable contributions, COI policies for experts. I also liked his suggestions, and if you are interested in the one about a controlled interface for adding good information, see Sydney Poore's presentation the day before.
Sydney did a great job presenting her work for the Cochrane initiative and I loved hearing about the link updates for existing medical articles on English Wikipedia. Article creations in low-traffic areas are problematic, but article updates may be even a bigger problem. What would be great is if we could get this link-vetting solution working for other languages as well. Her presentation at WIkiCon USA in D.C. yesterday is here (fast forward to about 5 hours in) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gj6U22uJzGM On Sun, Oct 11, 2015 at 8:12 AM, Anthony Cole <[email protected]> wrote: > I've been following the conference online and I congratulate the organisers > - some fascinating presentations and the videos are excellent. A link to > the videos: > > http://wikiconferenceusa.org/wiki/2015/Schedule > > I recommend Stuart Ray's insightful presentation at 4 hours 36 minutes on > day two (Saturday 10th), addressing Wikipedia's problematical relationship > with experts. > > A couple of points. > > 1) I'd love to view or listen to a recording of the 45 minute > panel discussion held in the Jefferson Room at 12:15 on Saturday, > "Journalism and the Online Information Community: How Wikimedians Cover > Wikimedia." Was it recorded and will it eventually be put online? > > 2) Greg Kohs was banned from attending. I think that was a mistake. He is a > fierce critic of Jimmy Wales and Wikipedia. I am aware of the lines he has > crossed in the past (and the seemingly sincere apologies). Notwithstanding > those past crossed lines, and his propensity to walk very close to the edge > of propriety today, he has a valid critique and, along with those of more > temperate critics, his voice has a place in a truly comprehensive > conversation about this project. > > > > -- > Anthony Cole <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Anthonyhcole> > _______________________________________________ > Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at: > https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines > [email protected] > Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, > <mailto:[email protected]?subject=unsubscribe> _______________________________________________ Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines [email protected] Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:[email protected]?subject=unsubscribe>
