Hi,

2015-03-13 5:54 GMT+01:00 MZMcBride <[email protected]>:
> phoebe ayers wrote:
(...)
>
> Education is apolitical.

Education is certainly not apolitical.
People with different political opinions support education, but free
education like the one promoted by the WMF is certainly more a
political issue than social networks.
That's why the WMF involvement is more logical than social networks
and commercial entities.

Regards,

Yann

> I don't see making the leap from being an
> educational non-profit with an unusually heavy focus on engineering to
> doing all of this and also engaging in political advocacy as being a very
> good idea. If anything, we should play to our strengths and use technology
> to mitigate surveillance as much as is reasonable, if this is a real
> concern to our users. The extent to which Wikimedia users are concerned
> still seems arguable, as people have noted that other sites such as
> Facebook and Google contain far more private and personal information.[*]
>
>>I trust our legal team to make decisions about what legal actions to
>>participate in.
>
> It's been noted that there are a lot of legal issues around the world that
> the Wikimedia Foundation legal team could attempt to resolve. In fact, in
> probably any case, helping out in some small country would be a lot more
> likely to have a positive result over trying to fight the U.S. government.
> Mass surveillance is an abomination, but I think the role of the Wikimedia
> Foundation is to develop, support, and grow Wikimedia projects and I'm not
> sure this lawsuit is really doing that.
>
> Whether the Wikimedia Foundation should be engaged in political advocacy,
> and if so, who decides when and to what extent, seem like issues where
> there should be Wikimedia community, Board, and staff involvement.
>
> I'm wary of the precedent that we're setting here in terms of this being
> cited in the future as a reason to join other legal actions around the
> world. I'm also wary of of the potentially dangerous and unbalanced power
> it gives staff members to use Wikimedia as a political tool. I happen to
> sympathize with the position being taken today, but what about the future?
>
> Thank you for the thoughtful and informative reply. :-)
>
> MZMcBride
>
> [*] Just as a side note, tracking users also comes up in the context of
> trying to determine the number of unique page views for Wikimedia wikis.
> There are values and principles questions at play, on a global scale.

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at: 
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines
[email protected]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, 
<mailto:[email protected]?subject=unsubscribe>

Reply via email to