On Fri, Sep 12, 2014 at 8:17 PM, Wil Sinclair <[email protected]> wrote:
> Actually, I'd like to speak up on the name.
>
> I imagine the name reflected the enthusiasm of its first attendees,
> but "Wikimania" has all the wrong connotations in today's world. True
> mania is marked by little control, commitment, and rest. It also
> implies that attendees have to be dyed-in-the-wool, unquestioning, and
> supremely devoted editors. I hope that's not the case. I doubt it's
> more welcoming for highly enthusiastic beginners, but it might
> convince casual editors who are more interested in the topics covered
> in our articles than the project itself that it's not for them.
>
> Moreover, mania is no joke. Some people suffer greatly from disorders
> like bipolar depression. We wouldn't call a conference WikiADHD (which
> is, as I have been very public about, something I suffer from). It's
> uncool to make light of it in any way, even when unintended.
>
> We can be both more sensible and sensitive by calling this conference
> something else. As has been suggested, Wikimedia Conference (maybe
> WikiCon for short) would be more appropriate.

+1

please.

-- 
John Vandenberg

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at: 
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines
[email protected]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, 
<mailto:[email protected]?subject=unsubscribe>

Reply via email to