On 11/13/2013 04:41 PM, Tobias wrote: > I think the community has done a very good job in the past 12 years when > it comes to copyright. It is important to see that we are a community > site – nothing is ever going to be perfect, and certainly we are not > free of any copyright violations. But we are dealing with them in a very > responsible way and I would say that our current efforts are sufficient.
I think that's the best way of summing it up. "Sufficient" is a vague metric, and leaves room for improvement, but the nutshell is that the community /does/ take copyright violations seriously and deploys very good efforts to curtail it. Do some slip through? Yes, without doubt. Are they eliminated with prejudice the second they are noticed? Yes. The Wikimedia projects are no worse than any other collected works when it comes to copyright infringement and indeed tends to handle it with more vigilance than the other sites in the top 10 (proactively, rather than reactively). Could we do better? No doubt. Is improvement so desperately critical that we should drop everything else to concentrate on that? Not a chance. And I speak as the author and (for a long time) maintainer of one of the most visible and used copyright violation detection tool used on our project (CorenSearchBot, now handled by MadmanBot and - last I heard - used on around a dozen projects). -- Marc _______________________________________________ Wikimedia-l mailing list [email protected] Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:[email protected]?subject=unsubscribe>
